Little "One-Step" into Brew?! Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well after brewing 2 small batches (2.5 gallons) into Mr. beer fermentors, I purchased all the equipment I needed from MidWest and brewed my first 5 gallons today. I bought all the extracts, grains, etc. off MidWest and some ingredients at the store (spices, oranges, etc.) and brewed the Papazian Holiday Cheer Ale. I did modify it a bit and used 5lb. light extract and 2lb. amber instead of just 7lb. light...

So onto the brewing: Other than dropping the cap seal from the extract into the boiling wort (which I fished out without issue) things went very well. OG was 1.048 or 1.050. I Pitched yeast at 72 degrees and put on the top.

Anyway, when putting on my airlock I used a little OneStep water (diluted solution) in the bottom (in case some squirted in?) b/c I figured it was better than unsanitized tap water. Well, it happened and I squeezed the lid while putting it on. It shot some bubbles up and sucked about 1tsp. of the OneStep water into the wort. I didn't open it or try to do anything with it.

Will my beer be OK?! I know 1 tsp. of OneStep water (very little actual onestep) into 5 gallons isn't a big deal, but what do y'all think?

Thanks in advance.

I've introduced tap water to my wort several times and have yet to have any batches go to hell because of it. They've gone to hell for other reasons, but not because of that. :drunk:

You're fine.

What a relief... :)

Now... not that I don't believe you guys, but doesn't One Step in solution turn into Hydrogen Peroxide or something? I swear I've read that somewhere. How does this not effect the beer? Or is it just that there is so little quantity into 5 gallons that is has no effect?

From now on I'll probably just use normal tap or spring water in there...

Lessee, one teaspoon is a 1/3 oz, thats 1/360 of a gallon, in 5 galllons, so ummm you diluted the mixture by about 1500 parts....

30 hours after pitching yeast (without a starter b/c the Safale US-56 said just pitch into wort) and aerating it for 5 minutes with stirring I have fermentation. About 16-20 bubbles per minute coming through my airlock with the brew sitting at 66-70 degrees depending on time of day.

Looks like the onestep didn't stop anything from occurring! You guys are genius! :)

SilkkyBrew said:
but doesn't One Step in solution turn into Hydrogen Peroxide or something?

OK, so everyone here knows more about brewing than I do. I am sure you are fine but I just thought I would point out that Hydrogen Peroxide is pretty unstable at normal temp and pressure. If the One Step to break down to H2O2 that would not hang around long anyway.

I could be wrong, I just thought I've read it somewhere. :)

Good to have that info though...

Up to 25-30 bubbles per minute as of this AM. :)

Now that it appears to be fermenting appropriately, would y'all suggest priming this Holiday Ale with normal corn sugar or maybe dark brown sugar?

I know it has a lot of flavors already (cinamon, orange essence, ginger, etc.) so I'm not sure the extra molasses flavor the brown would provide would be good? Anyone with experience?

Back