Foamy Beer and Beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well just thought I would post my experience with foamy beer and the fix I found that worked for me.

I have been kegging for about 1 year now and have always fought having foamy beer. My setup is fridge with freezer on top with love controller that holds my 5 gal keg with shank that goes through the side where the faucet is.

I usually have on tap Honey Porter that i force carb. Serving temperature is 36 degrees F. and had pressure set to 9 psi. I had played around with lengthening my lines I tried 4 ft - 8ft, tried pressures form 6 - 14 psi and it didn't really matter I always got glass full of foam.

I did some searching on this forum about foamy beer and one sugestion was not to use the line from Home Depot since it was thinner wall tubing. Well this is the tubing that I had on my beer line. So I went was at the LHBS today to buying stuff for next batch and pick of some thick wall beer line. While I was there I was talking to the LHBS guy and told him my situation and he recommended 5.5 ft lines and upping my pressure to 10 - 12 psi. I put the new thickwall tubing on and set pressure to 10 psi and pour my first glass of beer with perfect head and not 1/2 foam.

Thanks to this forum for helping me out and hopefully this helps someone else.

Tim Johnson

Back