Cracked MLT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesbrewer

Reaction score
I am guessing I have made 6 mashes in this "new" rubbermaid 5 gallon MLT and today, when I put in my strike water, it started leaking.
I dumped the water and took everything apart only to find hair cracks around the spigot hole.
I havent used any tools to tighten this, but it cracked none the less.
I torqued down all the nuts to try to mend it for now. It helped, but I get a drip every 15 seconds. Doubt it will amount to much over a 60 minute mash, BUT!
Any suggestions for a repair that wont effect the wort? I have liquid electrical tape, caulk and all kinds of stuff, but I am concerned about the mal-effects.

jb weld the holes and see if it holds. I think it'd still be food grade when exposed to hot water. As others have said, you might try a bigger washer, as well.

I'd dry it out and use silicone to seal it and maybe silicone a large diameter washer if you can. Let it cure for several days and then try it with some hot water.

Latest posts

Back