[Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry default to 0oz poured, or have a full keg. However you want to look at it.

Oh. The keg column is placeholder for the flow meters.

Flow meters won't be incorporated until at least v2.0.0.

You can manually update the SQL database. But I'd recommend you just turn the column off altogether.

On my way into town this morning, I stopped by Walmart to return an old truck battery. Found this:

kbmE7AD.jpg

I figured, "well ****, if a redneck can make a bacon bowl, I can certainly solder!"

Went down to Radio Shack, picked up some goodies. Namely:

62/36/2 Rosin-core Solder (1.5 oz roll)
Desoldering Vacuum Bulb
Misc project wire
A 500-pack of assorted resistors (they didn't have any 270 ohm loose)
A rigid jumper wire kit for breadboards

Haven't soldered in over 10 years, since I had to build an FM transmitter to retrofit an RC aircraft. Watched a quick refresher video to re-familiarize myself with the finer points of soldering:

Jumped right in, using only a scrap piece of cardboard, soldering station and wet sponge. I don't think my results are professional-grade, but they look like they'll get the job done.

Parts from the kit:
9DgYOBQ.jpg

Instructions from the kit: http://openmicros.org/index.php/art...t-documentation/raspberry-pi/223-slice-of-pio

First row of the IC socket done (soupy looking stuff is rosin that hasn't dried yet):

aWA4rI0.jpg

IC socket completed, plus the two 8-port ground headers (top row) and two 8-port I/O headers (second row). The capacitor at bottom was certainly the hardest joint. I know it looks like I bridged there, but it's just the viewing angle. There's a pretty decent gap between them.

1jVppGa.jpg

GPIO header soldered on (bottom right rows), MCP23017 read to snap in.

i2iIXQr.jpg

Total build time was about 45 minutes. Would have been much shorter, but I was taking my sweet time.

Lessons learned:

If you're buying solder, grab .032" instead. With .022", the feed rate was pretty fast. Hard to stay steady at that rate.

Bend the capacitor pins to hold it in place. Don't fight with gravity while trying to solder.

My iron came with an ST2 tip. It was larger than most of the pads on this project. I would have felt much more comfortable with an ST1 tip or even smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I have the Pi and a breakout board built. I have a breadboard and wires. I should have everything I need.

Yet the longer I sit here fiddling with bits of wire, the more I realize:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Hahahaah my god man, I about lost it on that meme lulz

Figured out the wiring. Really wasn't all that bad.

Set the Pi up for I2C, Python, etc. Found a sample script that looks like it should listen for the tap handle opening once, and I can mod the heck out of it for our purposes.

Problem is, it keeps throwing Python errors at me. Hopefully somebody on the offical RPi forums will give me a reply so I can move forward. :\

My first night of actually testing the flow meter code was hugely disappointing. In the end, I've decided that I'm trying to walk before I can run. I'm going to pick up a multimeter tomorrow to make sure that I've wired the flow meter right, then actually connect it to the pi. I think I'm close, though.

Mmmmm, yes. Looking at flowmeter.py, looks like they don't actually do any GPIO there. Just number crunching the pulse data.

Looks like they import flowmeter.py into kegomatic.py, where the GPIO actually takes place. How, I'm not entirely sure. I can barely read Python at this point, let alone tweak it up.

The article's an interesting read. Good stuff in there. I may have to try wiring direct to the Pi's GPIO pins (conditioned to 3V3 of course) and see if I can get this to run. Then, hopefully a switch from GPIO.RPi to I2C wouldn't be too difficult.

Alternatively, I can attempt to learn enough C to utilize wiringPi.

Neither option sounds terribly fun. :\

I'm starting to think that I may have damaged my pi. If I hook my multimeter to 3.3v and any GPIO pin, I get 0.0v. It still runs fine, and when I run the pin test in wiringPi it checks out ok. Any ideas?

you bastards! I don't even keg and I want to run out and get a Rpi to play with this.... How do I mod it for a fridge full of bottles? :)

And you've already got someone posting an XKCD link... You've made it!

you bastards! I don't even keg and I want to run out and get a Rpi to play with this.... How do I mod it for a fridge full of bottles? :)

And you've already got someone posting an XKCD link... You've made it!

We're taking great pains to make PRints as extensible as possible for future features. Bottles could definitely be a thing. Check out Hymas Wood Kegerface... he's already done it with RFID'd bottles.

Such great pains that we might miss our target launch date. Oh well.

"Customers will forgive you for being late; they'll never forgive you for being bad." -Pullin

Such great pains that we might miss our target launch date. Oh well.

I didn't even know there was a release date mentioned. What was it and do you have a possible updated ETA? I'd love to start putting the parts together to get ready for the instructions and software for this thing.

So I am having a difficult time with this ebay guy, he wont sell me them (The flow meters) for any less than $20.10 WTH!!!!!!!!!

Supply and demand, he probably realized that a lot of people were wanting them all of a sudden and trying to get them for a certain price, so he realized there is demand and only accepting a higher price now

Ok, so here is my firehose =)

Man the Raspberry Pi is fun. I like loading Cygwin and OpenSSH for remote access, that way you can SSH and redirect the X server through your SSH session and not worry about the security. You see SSH open on a few more firewalls than you see VNC as well. That way I can also SFTP the files, but it really is the choice of a Unix geek to do it that way.

The difference between the Beer table and Taps table confused me at first. I read your intent over on GitHub, and you have definitely got the right idea. Storing the recipe targets and overriding makes sense for repeat brewers.

Additionally I missed what the default admin account password is in the Raspberry Pints admin panel, though I suppose I could drop another hash in their as well. I created a new account as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Your admin interface looks great, but the table layout is so clear that I didn't need it.

I see you had testing at 1200 x 1920 as an open Item, I can tell you it looks good with the limited data I have entered. However if you are using a test suite I don't know.

The build guide seems to lack spaces after switches in the MySQL commands, I tried cutting and pasting directly in the SSH window and noticed that.

I ordered a Vesa mount and donated a monitor from my desk. I have it all mounted in the brewery \ taproom \ basement =). I'll post some pics later.

I was thinking about picking up the Pi Dish or Pi Cobbler used by the adafruit KegBot folks, but I realize this still means nothing is buffering the I/O. I was a little unhappy to see that their circuit diagram does not actually contain anything other that a distant 3/4 angle photograph =(. I'll look in their forums since their sensors are 5volt as well.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-keg-bot/prototype-circuit

Here are some pics, having a camera doesn't mean being able to frame a picture decently. =) I have the plates to move all the wiring behind the wall coming, fortunately this wall is my basement utility room.

I obviously manipulated the keg levels, and don't have a logo just yet. Also you can see the wires from my immersion boilers drying out in the sink.

WP_20140122_07_32_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20140122_07_32_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20140122_07_33_13_Pro.jpg

RPints.jpg

Ok, so here is my firehose =)

Man the Raspberry Pi is fun. I like loading Cygwin and OpenSSH for remote access, that way you can SSH and redirect the X server through your SSH session and not worry about the security. You see SSH open on a few more firewalls than you see VNC as well. That way I can also SFTP the files, but it really is the choice of a Unix geek to do it that way.

The difference between the Beer table and Taps table confused me at first. I read your intent over on GitHub, and you have definitely got the right idea. Storing the recipe targets and overriding makes sense for repeat brewers.

Additionally I missed what the default admin account password is in the Raspberry Pints admin panel, though I suppose I could drop another hash in their as well. I created a new account as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Your admin interface looks great, but the table layout is so clear that I didn't need it.

I see you had testing at 1200 x 1920 as an open Item, I can tell you it looks good with the limited data I have entered. However if you are using a test suite I don't know.

The build guide seems to lack spaces after switches in the MySQL commands, I tried cutting and pasting directly in the SSH window and noticed that.

I ordered a Vesa mount and donated a monitor from my desk. I have it all mounted in the brewery \ taproom \ basement =). I'll post some pics later.

I was thinking about picking up the Pi Dish or Pi Cobbler used by the adafruit KegBot folks, but I realize this still means nothing is buffering the I/O. I was a little unhappy to see that their circuit diagram does not actually contain anything other that a distant 3/4 angle photograph =(. I'll look in their forums since their sensors are 5volt as well.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-keg-bot/prototype-circuit

How long before the tutorial that will allow me to build this, even though I have absolutely no idea what this guy is talking about? I really want one, but man I have no clue about any of this.

How long before the tutorial that will allow me to build this, even though I have absolutely no idea what this guy is talking about? I really want one, but man I have no clue about any of this.

Probably a while still. The project is still under heavy development and not at the point of 'release' yet.

Unless you have a pretty good understanding of the technologies in play, I'd hold off.

Ok thanks; I'll be waiting. It's gonna be awesome.

I see the IBU logo has changed.. is that old or new?

Here is my setup

1515043_3914365313563_1836576247_n.jpg

1521727_3914365593570_1725555413_n.jpg

Since I only have 5 taps ATM, I like landscape better.

It took me two night to read 428 posts and I have to say this appears to be the best organized major project I have seen on HBT. Just wanted to say thanks to those contributing so those less knowledgeable can benefit from your efforts. I'm looking forward to building this!

I wish I could contribute more than just a "thanks".:ban:

I see the IBU logo has changed.. is that old or new?

Here is my setup

1515043_3914365313563_1836576247_n.jpg

1521727_3914365593570_1725555413_n.jpg

Since I only have 5 taps ATM, I like landscape better.

Will the release be able to be displayed on this type of monitor? I've only got 4 taps and no plans on expanding, so the other monitor is far too big for that need.

rabeb, what monitor/tv is that? Model#/link? Thanks!

We're shooting for a 20 Feb 14 release date on v1.0.0.

Thats the date we'll go live with step-by-step instructions.

I may push the materials list a few days earlier for anybody interested in ordering parts.

Great news! A parts list early would be great!

Sorry about that. The tutorial already written is about 80% of the way there, and looking at the admin interface these guys are going the extra mile to make this usable. As an additional bonus the database layout is clean and I wouldn't be surprised if the code is as nice as well. This means the project can also be supported well into the future.

Will the release be able to be displayed on this type of monitor? I've only got 4 taps and no plans on expanding, so the other monitor is far too big for that need.

Any monitor you can attach to the RaspberryPi will work, Most HDMI, DVI monitors should be fine. The Pi also has a RCA video out which should allow you to use an old TV, but I haven't tried it myself. This site goes into it a bit.

3 Ways to Display Your Raspberry Pi On a Monitor Or TV

Guys, will this project be something that someone with no electrical background and no familiarity with circuits be able to put together and use?

For the flow meters it still looks like some soldering may be recommended, but I think breadboarding requires less skill than installing a light fixture. If you can hook up an Xbox or dvd player you should be fine. The only additional tool you should need would be a wire stripper to take the ends off the flow meters and expose the leads. I would wait for the full bill of materials and a photo guide if you have no experience.

Soldering will result in a much more durable and compact solution - and cheaper as well if you can pay for soldering in beer.

That being said I am still willing to sponsor an I/O board for the dev team if a suitable one is identified.

The bezel looks like a Samsung, but I could be wrong. The only reason I used a monster monitor is I wanted to add a TV to my bar area, and my desk was too crowded with dual monitors.

The Pi can be headless and you could use a cheap tablet with a browser if you liked as long as you have Wifi. If you don't need flow meters or other I/O and can supply a screen, All you need is a Pi, A micro usb charger from an old phone, an SD card, and maybe a video cable and something for data entry. If you add a wireless adapter, you can maintain it from a web browser on your network and probably don't require the mouse, keyboard and attached monitor except for when performing upgrades.

Oh my gosh, after writing this post I finally found a use for my blackberry playbook.

The bezel looks like a Samsung, but I could be wrong. The only reason I used a monster monitor is I wanted to add a TV to my bar area, and my desk was too crowded with dual monitors.

The Pi can be headless and you could use a cheap tablet with a browser if you liked as long as you have Wifi. If you don't need flow meters or other I/O and can supply a screen, All you need is a Pi, A micro usb charger from an old phone, an SD card, and maybe a video cable and something for data entry. If you add a wireless adapter, you can maintain it from a web browser on your network and probably don't require the mouse, keyboard and attached monitor except for when performing upgrades.

Oh my gosh, after writing this post I finally found a use for my blackberry playbook.

Its just an old samsung 19" tv I had lying around after a I changed my home audio/automation over to ip based. My pi actually goes into a HDMI matrix switcher that I have, so I can pull up the pi/interface on any tv in the house.

It broadcasts a web server, so it can pull up on pretty anything that can pull up internet . You don't ever need a monitor either, you can always get to it using putty or the like for programming. I do most of my config during down time at work. Which is also easy to do by allowing some port forwarding at home.

Bryan

Is there any easy/dirty way to get the new hop and keep my db? I tried some rudimentary copy/past but it didn't work.. Its no big deal either way.

thanks

Back