Peanut Butter Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops33

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for a peanut butter beer- preferably not a porter or stout, more cream ale type...

Thanks!

How about just searching for a base style / roast up peanuts, lightly crush them, add them to secondary for two weeks. Make the style light so that the peanut oils can shine through. Good Luck!

How about just searching for a base style / roast up peanuts, lightly crush them, add them to secondary for two weeks. Make the style light so that the peanut oils can shine through. Good Luck!

Not sure if this is a great idea. I would suspect that the peanut in the oils will kill any sort of head in your beer.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any such thing before.

Not sure if this is a great idea. I would suspect that the peanut in the oils will kill any sort of head in your beer.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any such thing before.

Me either, What if he added cara-pils to give better head retension?

There is a product called PB2 that is a dehydrated peanut butter. I've seen threads where they successfully used it.

I'm thinking about doing a Peanut Ale for my next brew.

Where should I start in trying to develop this type of recipe?

I have used PB2 successfully for a peanut butter porter.

Use two jars of PB2 (some GNC carry it, but check first), in last 10min. of boil...

I had no head issues with the beer, but I did add .5# of instant oats to be safe. Oils were never a issue...I made sure though I got all the PB from the boil kettle into the fermenter...let it sit for 4 weeks, cold crash and racked off...

You might want to use a hop sock to keep the hops separated from the trub going into the fermenter...

The PB will come through as the last part of the taste...if you want it more forward add 1oz./5gal of PB extract (cake supply stores or ebay).

Hope this helps...

God love you!

I love experimentation, but a PB ale sounds gross.......NOW A PB and J PALE ALE SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!;)

I did a small 3 gallon test batch of peanutbutter cup porter using 3 oz of pb2 and 3 oz of the powdered chocolate they sell as well and let it sit for 2 weeks the racked it on top of the same amount for anther 3 weeks and cold crashes it and bottled it. Head retention was good and there is a Med Pb taste to finish out the beer and chocolate flavor in the middle. Its honestly is not to bad.

These are great suggestions thanks.

I wasn't really aiming for peanut butter ale, but rathers just peanuts. But, I don't think it really matters. Would it be better for a porter or maybe a brown ale?

The smells and taste of fresh peanuts is great and I've always wanted to add that to beer.

someone has done it....and it is "honestly not too bad".......

i hate to play the party pooper, but you will end up drinking the last of this and be almost happy that it is "not too bad"

Brew something else.

Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.

At least add the strawberry jelly if you are intent on this.

I did a double chocolate peanut butter stout once that was good. I used the all natural peanut butter in a jar with the oil that separates.

-Pour out oil
-Put paper towel in jar and reseal
-Remove paper towel and replace with fresh one
-Remove paper towel and peanut butter should come out of jar
-Wrap peanut butter "slug" with paper towels and put back into jar
-Redo until comfortable that you removed mostly all of the oil
-Throw whatever amount of peanut butter you want into boil

Back