Favorite ale for pizza crusts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
When I make pizza crusts I use the following recipe typically....

3 cups All Purpose Flour Oven 400 degrees
1 pkg instant yeast (.25 oz.)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 oz. beer of your choice, warmed to 110 degrees

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pizza pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add warmed beer all at once to the dry mixture. Stir until well mixed, incorporating all the dry ingredients. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set aside for about 20-25 minutes, allowing the dough to rise. Empty dough out onto a clean, floured surface. Knead by hand 6-8 times, it may be necessary to add additional flour to the surface to keep dough from sticking. Roll into desired shape and thickness. Place rolled dough onto prepared pizza pan, add favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, depending on crust thickness.

I've found though that the type of ale used plays a BIG role in the flavor. The best one I made was with Sam Adams Irish Red, but I can't find that beer very many places (and honestly, I wasn't too fond of it). Since then I've used a number of different beers (can't remember them all, the most recent was Sierra though).

So when you all make things like pizza crust with beer, what kind of beers do you use? The Irish Red gave it a nice kick that I haven't found from anything else.

Try Killians'. Fairly similar flavor profile to the SA Irish Red (though it's a lager, but most subtlety gets lost in the baking, so close counts here), and you should be able to snag a sixer for not much money. You wouldn't have to use it on anything other than pizza crust.

As for me, I've used a porter before (can't remember which one, but a fullers or Sam Smith would be good- not too hoppy). It's tasty, especially if you have something smoked on the pizza.

Hops are a demon when it comes to cooking. I steer clear of them at all times. Try a porter for a delicious crust.

I found that water gives me the same flavor. I also found that a cold rise of at least 24 hours and less yeast gave me better flavor. Cooking on a pizza stone that has pre-heated for an hour helped with my crust as well.

I found that water gives me the same flavor. I also found that a cold rise of at least 24 hours and less yeast gave me better flavor. Cooking on a pizza stone that has pre-heated for an hour helped with my crust as well.

You must be using some crazy water then, because different beers definitely bring different flavors to the pizza, except the Sierra didn't add too much.

I always use a pizza stone too.

I will try a killians, I don't mind picking up a 6 pack of that because it's not too bad of a beer to drink. Actually, I might try that tonight

I have used a porter ( I brew it often ) for crusts, breads and BBQ sauces.
I tend to use IPA's or pale ales for Fish Batter.
I will purposely destroy ( repurpose ) a small portion of a mead batch for vinegars and salad dressings.

Back