Beer style calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are beer calculators out there that will calculate the different numbers for your beer, but is there a calculator that will tell you what style your beer will be based on the OG, FG, IBU, and SRM you provide it? Thanks.

-AJ

I've never heard of such a thing-- is it for your Oatmeal Stout in your profile?

I'd pull up the BJCP Guidelines and compare.

It'd would be a very simple thing for someone who can program to do.
It would also be easy to make a web based application or even a spread sheet to do it.

Well if it doesn't exist, then maybe I will give it a shot. I used to do programming and other computer related things before I started brewing. If it comes to anything I will post it so you all can evaluate it.

I've never heard of such a thing-- is it for your Oatmeal Stout in your profile?

I'd pull up the BJCP Guidelines and compare.

Not particularly, but I would probably use it for that since it I know it's going to be different than what I had originally planned.

Also, on second thought, I would like to gauge interest in a beer style calculator before I go off and make something no one but me would use. So if anyone thinks this is a good idea, let me know I will try make one soon. Thanks.

-AJ

Beersmith has a function to search recipes that you can brew based on current ingredients.
That is similar but yes the function you state would be interesting.
I have never cared what style a beer is. I just brew it regardless.

Others may find it more "useful"

For what its worth it would be neat! I would love to enter in certain characteristics and have it tell me what catogory it falls in.

Beersmith has a function to search recipes that you can brew based on current ingredients.

Really? v1.4? Where? How?

Not being sarcastic for once (won't happen again), I am really stumped.

StrangeBrew is a piece of brewing software out of Canada. I like it quite a bit and used it for a few years though I think I'm transitioning to BeerSmith.

SB has several things that are really nice that it does that BS doesn't do. One of them is exactly this. Under the Style tab for a recipe it'll let you pick the style you want to call your recipe. But it will also list off other styles that your recipe fits under based on OG, FG, IBU, color, ABV etc. It even let's you set similarity so it'll give you styles that you are within 5%, 10%, or 15% of matching the specifications. It's a nifty feature. One of the reasons that at the moment I'm using both BS & SB.

Can you please explain to me where this is. I have yet to find this "function".

Back