2 Liter Soda Bottle for Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I've got two flasks and need another 2 vessels for making 1.2 liter starters....will cleaned & sanitized 2 liters for soda work okay?

Even after cleaning them w/ soap and hot water and sanitizing w/ StarSan, there's a very slight odor of the sodas of the respective bottles. Is that going to affect the yeast/finished beer?

Let the bottles soak in an Oxiclean or PBW solution for a day and the soda aroma will be gone.

I use 2 liter bottles as portable kegs all the time. Never had any kind of odd aftertaste or anything. I also have used them with the soda smell still there and no problems. I assume that means there should be no problem with using it as a starter container.

I'm always a bit fussy when it comes to yeast. There is nothing more important than yeast, so I think it deserves the most attention in brewing. If you screw that up, then nothing else matters. Having said that, I'll also admit that I have a intense bias against plastic. Plastic is too easily scratched and holds onto smells - not something I'm willing to risk to my yeast.

Personally, I would opt for 1 gallon glass jugs. My local homebrew shop sells these for $4 or $5. The mouth is wide enough for a standard stopper and air lock. Cleans up with PBW, no smells, no scratches. A much better choice in my opinion. And just in case you were wondering - glass fermenters, all the way :).

Prosit!

Back