For All of You Who Have Made Their Own Keggles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
Being the innovative people that we are, someone must have figured out something cool to do with the tube that you take out of the keg before you cut the lid off...I was thinking about a grain mill and thought it might be possible to fashion rollers out of it? Anybody have any ideas or do you just chuck them into a scrap pile? It's such a nice tube I thought for sure someone would have posted something about it but I couldn't find anything, maybe I'm just a bad searcher....

14109-PB290013.JPG

I've had the same question for a while... I'm pretty sure I remember Yuri mentioning saving his for an upcoming project, but never heard anything afterwards.

-Dixon

Not large enough diameter or strength for a decent grain mill...

wild said:
Sightglass cover?

I think Bobby_M was planning on doing that and I agree with it. You definitely wanna protect the sightglass and it seems like it would fit well. I'm surprised Bobby hasn't commented on this thread yet :)

Yeah, I must be slipping. I haven't logged on in over 8 hours.

I do plan on cutting the tubes up for sight glass protectors, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do it safely and accurately without a mill.

TerapinChef said:
That's a great idea...this is why I love you guys. Half the group is talking about protecting their sightglass with it, and the other replaced the need for a sightglass with it.

Agreed. You gotta love the ingenuity. Good stuff :rockin:

I am saving mine for a sculpture, 4 more and I am good to go.

I have been saving SS scrap from work as well, pieces of mainly 12ga, and some perf plate.

EvilTOJ said:
You could make a buckler and a +1 Mashing Mace of Smiting :D
Mine is a +5 Scepter of Brewing! HA!!! (anyone else ever swing one of them around? Screw having a baseball bat laying around. My scepter evokes more fear than an oversized toothpick!)

A guy at a local homebrew supply (yeah, so new I forget the damn anagram for it) uses the spears as 'handles' for converted kegs. He makes the lids out of the piece you cut out for the top, attaches washers to hold it on, and then joins the spear to the valve neck at an angle for a handle. Next time I go i'll take a pic.

Watch Me Eat A Hot Dog said:
....local homebrew supply (yeah, so new I forget the damn anagram for it)...
LHBS Local Home Brew Shop. :) There are still a few anagrams I havn't figured out but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. Cheers!!!

I took 2 of them and made a mixing paddle for my MLT, welded it into a T and attached it to a 12 volt wiper motor from a car. and fitted it to the top I cut off the Keg. I used a power supply from a computer to make it all work. And it works like a dream.
DSC00688.JPG

I am going to give mine to the neighbor and he can mill the 3 I got from Boston into nice HD sight tube guards. I still need to get the dam fittings first :( McMaster has too much stuff and im not sure which ones to get.

I have 3 down tubes as of right now, and I'm considering milling them in our machine shop at work... I just have to decide on how I want to set it all up... If I end up doing it, I'll let you all know.

Not beer (directly, although it is involved) related, but I keep one on the boat as a "Fish be Good" stick. Calms those saltwater fish right down!

Not beer (directly, although it is involved) related, but I keep one on the boat as a "Fish be Good" stick. Calms those saltwater fish right down!

Heheh... I prefer an old broom stick, but I'm sure the fish appreciate the high quality stainless "priest"

One of the kegs I got had a dip tube that was exactly 3/4" outside diameter. I had some 3/4" tube to 1/2 NPT compression fittings, thus 2 siphon dip tubes (To connect to the ball valve) were born for two keggles.

The other standard ones will become sight glass tube protectors probably.

Ah also used one (cut it down) to hold my PVC ring over the kettle that then holds my hop bag.

I do think that the sight glass tube is a good idea. I'm still wondering if maybe I can get one of these things knurled, knock a wooden dowel through it, and use it as a grain mill.

Hopefully I'm going to be milling a down tube today. I'll be basing it off of the B3 design. I'll post pictures once it is done

I like it....Gettting one of these things turned into knurled rollers for a grain mill will be my next project, when I get done with my brewstand plumbing.

How do you disconnect the tube from the end where the ball is. I tried twisting it with no luck.

There's a retainer ring that needs to be pushed down and turned. You can also just hack that fricken end off with a cutoff wheel or hack saw. Oh, and the stainless ball bearing that acts as a valve is also a great dryhop weight.

Back