White labs frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grohr

Reaction score
I put he's in the freezer, I use this refrigerator for fermenting beer and under normal conditions my freezer sets around 35° during fermentation, I cold crashed some beer and forgot to remove my yeast from the freezer. The yeast is now thawed out, is it any good?

No way to know unless you try. Make a starter and see what happens; I bet some of those buggers are still alive.

I hope it's good! This is a white labs 002 and I am using it for a real quick fermentation, I am having a big Christmas party on Christmas eve and my wife suggested brewing a light beer in case there are some lightweights that can't handle my Belgian ales porters and Stoutes

I had a vial in my kegerator and it had rolled to the back where the coil was. Even though the temp is set at about 41 the area it rolled to was cool enough to freeze.

Mine was slow to start without a starter but still did the job. Starter might be a safer bet though

I have yeast nutrient and I have never done a starter can anybody help me out?

Do you have a 1-gallon jug or other small glass container?
Do you have a day or two before you have to pitch?
Do you have some DME and some clean water?

If the answers to those questions are both yes, mix up about 4oz DME with 1 quart (or liter) of water. Boil it for about 15 minutes with 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient, cool it in an ice bath and transfer to your sanitized container. Pitch the yeast, cover with a sanitized stopper and shake vigorously. Put in a drilled stopper with airlock and wait about 24 hours. If you are getting vigorous fermentation activity in the starter, it should be good to pitch after 24 hours (make sure to keep it relatively warm, in the 70's unlike your primary fermentation. There won't be enough off flavor from that to affect your beer).

Pitch the whole thing as though it were just a giant vial of liquid yeast (some people like to pour off the "beer" first; it's up to you).

If you like you can go bigger with your starter or "step up" to a bigger starter if you have another 24 hours before you need to pitch.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on starters; I expect someone else will give you better instructions although they will likely be pretty similar to mine (you seemed like you were in a hurry for info)

The only thing I would add to those instructions is that you don't want to use a stopper or airlock. Use a piece of sanitized aluminum foil to cover whatever container you are using. When making a starter, the yeast need oxygen and there's no way to get it to them if you have an airlock. The foil will keep bacteria out and allow oxygen in.

The only thing I would add to those instructions is that you don't want to use a stopper or airlock. Use a piece of sanitized aluminum foil to cover whatever container you are using. When making a starter, the yeast need oxygen and there's no way to get it to them if you have an airlock. The foil will keep bacteria out and allow oxygen in.

Why not just shake the wort up to oxygenate it the way you would with a full scale batch? Same thing. I use a growler and a bung and airlock.

IMHO, a quart of starter in a one-gallon jug will have plenty of oxygen in the headspace for 24 hours of go-time. If he was using a 1- or 2-liter lab flask I would agree with you, but it doesn't seem like he has that equipment.

My bad. Didn't see the part about the 1 gallon jug. In that case, yes you will most likely have plenty of oxygen. Anything smaller though, and you may want to use the foil method

Back