Good Recipe for Merlot & Sauvignon blanc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcmeRidgeRose_Nate

Reaction score
looking for 2 good recipe for Merlot and Sauvignon blanc. I just ordered 6 gallons of each that will be in sometimes next week or so. any kind of tips..hints...I have never tried to make any of these before. I will post my process on here as well. Let me know any suggestions.

Merlot recipe - merlot grapes, yeast, time

Sauvignon Blanc recipe - Sauvignon Blanc grapes, yeast, time

What you do to add to that is the art of winemaking. Reading Jack Kellers website is a start, and there are tons of sites that give suggestions as to how to improve on the grape/yeast/time recipe, but everyone will make it just a bit differently. Do you like oaked wines? If so, add oak (the type, toast and length is up to you). Do you like sweet wines? If so, backsweeten anywhere between .995 and 1.010, its up to you. Tannins? Add or don't add. Acids? Generally pH around 3.5 and .60 TA, but that is up to you. Fruit flavors? Up to you. Dark or light? Up to you how long you let it sit on the skins. etc etc etc.

See...tons of things to make it different. If not, everything we could buy in the stores would taste exactly the same.

Merlot recipe - merlot grapes, yeast, time

Sauvignon Blanc recipe - Sauvignon Blanc grapes, yeast, time

What you do to add to that is the art of winemaking. Reading Jack Kellers website is a start, and there are tons of sites that give suggestions as to how to improve on the grape/yeast/time recipe, but everyone will make it just a bit differently. Do you like oaked wines? If so, add oak (the type, toast and length is up to you). Do you like sweet wines? If so, backsweeten anywhere between .995 and 1.010, its up to you. Tannins? Add or don't add. Acids? Generally pH around 3.5 and .60 TA, but that is up to you. Fruit flavors? Up to you. Dark or light? Up to you how long you let it sit on the skins. etc etc etc.

See...tons of things to make it different. If not, everything we could buy in the stores would taste exactly the same.

Completely agree...I understand where your coming from...just was maybe looking for tips and DON'Ts. I wanted to add oak chips or some kind of a wood flavor....do you soak it in chips while fermenting I guess?? I wouldnt want to put wood chips in a carboy..little hard to get them out. But as I said...I agree...to each his own...thats what makes the world a better place.

Back