Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a Hefeweizen this weekend. I am dong my first decoction. I plan on just doing a single ferulic acid rest at 111-113. For 15 min. I will then do a sacch rest at 150 for 45. The plan goes like this:

12.78 lb white wheat
7.3 lb pils
.37 carastan 35

1.5 quart/lb
7.67 gallons of water to mash
After 15 acid rest decoct 3.5 gallons to raise temp to 150

How does this sound? I want to do this to see first hand if the acid rest makes a difference. I will ferment with WLP 351.

No rice hulls? That looks like a lot of wheat to mash without a little help for lautering.

AnthonyCB said:
No rice hulls? That looks like a lot of wheat to mash without a little help for lautering.

+1
With all that wheat you definitely want some rice hulls to help filter the mash or a stuck sparge may definitely be in your future!

I do 50/50 pilsner and wheat malt. You could substitute 2-row if you like. I also do decoction, I do a acid rest for 45 min, protein rest for 30 min and a rest at 144 for 15 min and 154 for 15 min and a mash out. And its the best thing since sliced bread.

Make sure your water has fairly low alkalinity or the beer won't turn out nice and crisp like a good Hefe should be.

I did a 50% dilution with distilled water and added 4 grams of CaCl. My mash ph was spot on. This is my first decoction. Everything is on target as we speak. I am psyched.

Latest posts

Back