My Wife Thought She Was Being Helpful!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainstoglass

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of Pale Ale the other night and my wife decided she wanted to play the role of assistant brewer. I had filled my brew kettle with the appropriate amount of strike water, Unfortunately while I was getting some things ready in the other room, my wife decided to heat up the strike water and dump in the grain before it was even close to mash temperature. When I came back into the kitchen I was like what the hell are you doing? She replies "I was just trying to help." Any ideas on what I should expect from this flaw in the process? Will the beer just be super dry?

Once I got it to temperature I mashed at 154 for 45 minutes. Its fermenting away now and smells amazing, but I am a bit concerned about the result the improper mashing will have on the beer flavor and mouthfeel.

Anyone have any experience with this?

It's no problem - many people do step mashes that start at temperatures in the 110s to 130s. If it does end up being too thin/dry, you can always add maltodextrin to boost the body.

I could make a joke about this, but you really should be encouraging her to help.

It doesn't sound like it will ruin the beer if you got it up to 154 in a reasonable amount of time.

If it's no good, you need to get a couple foot massages out of her.

...But it'll be fine. As stated, mashing at a lower temperature before your final saccarification rest is a normal practice.

I could make a joke about this, but you really should be encouraging her to help.

It doesn't sound like it will ruin the beer if you got it up to 154 in a reasonable amount of time.

+1 I would love it if my wife would help me out... Or at least complain less about the smell when I brew :)

Your wife has secrectly mastered brewing and was trying to teach you how to step mash

Accidental protein rest? LOL

Im sure it will be fine. I mucked up my first mash that I did when brewing a mash extract much the same as you have. I tasted it after two weeks and almost honked. Cracked one last night after 6 weeks in the bottle and it's awesome. Upon finishing 1 liter, I promtly took 6 more from storage and popped em into the fridge. It's shaping up to be a good weekend :)

Overall, a small price to pay to have your wifes support.

+1 I would love it if my wife would help me out... Or at least complain less about the smell when I brew

You too?

I'd love it if my wife would help me out as well. Last time I brewed she commented that she loved how it smelled up to the point when I added the hops, then she said she couldn't take it anymore and turned on all kinds of scented wax things around the house.

I get, "This is your hobby, not mine," when it's bottle filling time. Not the same when it comes to emptying the bottles, though.

My wife always times her visit to the brew shed during the boil, so she can put her face above the kettle. It's something to do with the steam being good for the skin. This gives me an idea - I could charge people huge amounts of money to sit in my brew shed during the boil with the doors closed (I have an electric brewery so no concerns with fumes). The steam that builds up in the shed could be like a spa treatment, similar to a sauna. I could make up some nonsense about how the steam from the malted barley wort is an ancient and traditional exfoliate. It could change the whole brewing business model, a spa/brewery. Guys could drink beer, and women could sit in the 'spa'.

+1 I would love it if my wife would help me out... Or at least complain less about the smell when I brew :)

LOL, for the last couple of brews, I've used raspberry vodka in the air lock because I ran out of the straight stuff. 2-3 days of the yeast going crazy makes for some interesting smells in the the fermentation room (guest room). She dislikes the smell on brew day but hates my new fermentation aroma.

My wife always times her visit to the brew shed during the boil, so she can put her face above the kettle. It's something to do with the steam being good for the skin. This gives me an idea - I could charge people huge amounts of money to sit in my brew shed during the boil with the doors closed (I have an electric brewery so no concerns with fumes). The steam that builds up in the shed could be like a spa treatment, similar to a sauna. I could make up some nonsense about how the steam from the malted barley wort is an ancient and traditional exfoliate. It could change the whole brewing business model, a spa/brewery. Guys could drink beer, and women could sit in the 'spa'.

Genius!!!! :)

My fiancée got me hooked on this hobby. She's usually my assistant brewer. She's totally mad that she had to teach all day Monday while I was doing my Oktoberfest.

There's a crazy notion out there that soaking your feet in beer will get rid of nail fungus. Entirely BS, I think, but then marketers don't let the facts get in the way.

http://toenailfungustreatments.com/does-the-beer-soak-method-cure-nail-fungus-a-detailed-overview

This b$*ch did what!?!

Chris-Brown3_532_1456576a.jpg

bigljd said:

Check back in a few months when I invite everyone to join Sitting Duck's Spa-rewery for a modest membership fee. Traditional healing and weight loss guaranteed.*

*No guarantees. Common side effects include weight gain, beer goggles, and pregnancy.

So where are the pictures of these female brewing assistants?? Pics or they don't exist! !

Funny, my wife bitches too. She is the one that said I should try it out 4+ years ago. So it's not my fault I'm über hooked and have spent a ton of money.

It helps a lot to use a pumping up and down action with a large potato masher rather than a spoon. Much easier

I actually use an over sized ladle now, I agree an up and down motion mixes the mash but easier and better.

Back