All-Grain to Extract Conversion help (Goose Island Green Line Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might get a little more aroma, but the release of CO2 during fermentation us going to scrub a lot of it out. You really want to dry hop for the aroma. You're right about hop utilization though, we should probably be using a little more bittering hops for these partial boils.

If you're using extract, you can just do a 30 minute boil. Part of the reason that a 60 minute boil is standard is to drive off DMS and other compounds that are bad for beer from the wort. Extract has already had this process done to it during the extract making process.

So I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow but have a yeast problem. Didn't have enough time to do a starter of washed wlp 01. But I do have the following dry yeasts on hand:
Windsor
S-04
Safbrew T-58

I'm guessing definitely not the safbrew t58 but, any suggestions? I'm not necessarily looking for and exact clone - but what would still taste good?

So I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow but have a yeast problem. Didn't have enough time to do a starter of washed wlp 01. But I do have the following dry yeasts on hand:
Windsor
S-04
Safbrew T-58

I'm guessing definitely not the safbrew t58 but, any suggestions? I'm not necessarily looking for and exact clone - but what would still taste good?

Either Windsor or S-04 will be fine. I actually think the English ale qualities of those yeasts will work well with Green Line, as it's supposed to have biscuit, toasty flavors.

well just got done. used my new electric keggle (1 element 1500 element). took for-ever to get it to a boil, but alas it did happen - though not as hard as I would like. Ended up with OG of 1.044 and a bit more beer than expected. I guess I'll step up the grains for this set up, and eventually get an additional element & circuit.

Check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/need-help-cloning-recipe-213912/

I actually emailed Goose Island on this; they confirmed a few things:
100% Briess Pale Ale Malt (NOT 2-row, there is a difference) ...and no biscuit/carapils
Bittering w/Liberty at 30mins
Amarillo armoa addition right before knockout

So, based on their input and the recipes above, they said the recipe below should be a "reasonable facsimilie of Greenline"

10.5# Briess Pale Ale Malt
0.5oz Liberty (30min, 6 IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, 12 IBU)
0.5oz Columbus (10min, 9 IBU)
1.0oz Amarillo (0min, 1 IBU)
5.0% ABV w/75% effciency & attenuation
~30 IBU

The Pale Ale malt is what makes this beer. I'm not too knowledgeable of extract, but you'd want to use whatever extract best approximates this. I'd be worried that extra light DME isn't malty enough, even with your biscuit/crystal addition. I brewed it with 2-row and biscuit and it didn't work. (it was still good, but not a clone)

Well, I made this following TyTanium's recipe using Marris Otter and I also added a little Belgian aromatic. It tastes great and I think it's in the ballpark. If I did a side-by-side, you wouldn't have to taste each to identify the true Green Line; mine is much lighter (in color) in than I recall for the real one.

well just got done. used my new electric keggle (1 element 1500 element). took for-ever to get it to a boil, but alas it did happen - though not as hard as I would like. Ended up with OG of 1.044 and a bit more beer than expected. I guess I'll step up the grains for this set up, and eventually get an additional element & circuit.

Too much beer is a good problem to have! How far away are you from tasting day?

Well, I made this following TyTanium's recipe using Marris Otter and I also added a little Belgian aromatic. It tastes great and I think it's in the ballpark. If I did a side-by-side, you wouldn't have to taste each to identify the true Green Line; mine is much lighter than I recall for the real one.

What's Belgian aromatic?

The most recent Green Lines I've been drinking taste very light... I guess my palate has adjusted a little, as I've been drinking tons of stouts lately.

By-the-way rifraf, thanks for starting this thread.

What's Belgian aromatic?

The most recent Green Lines I've been drinking taste very light... I guess my palate has adjusted a little, as I've been drinking tons of stouts lately.

As for being lighter, I should have been more clear to indicate that I was referring to color. I agree that it's a great very easy drinking beer.

The Belgian aromatic gives a malty/biscuity aroma and flavor (I'm not sure of the impact on this beer since it was only used as 5% of the grist, but I knew I wanted to help potentiate those qualities a bit i.e. along the lines of your biscuit addition). Here is a link to the HBT description.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Belgian_Aromatic

Well, I made this following TyTanium's recipe using Marris Otter and I also added a little Belgian aromatic. It tastes great and I think it's in the ballpark. If I did a side-by-side, you wouldn't have to taste each to identify the true Green Line; mine is much lighter (in color) in than I recall for the real one.

Nice! Glad you tried it. I really need to re-brew this. It's such a good beer.

By-the-way rifraf, thanks for starting this thread.

As for being lighter, I should have been more clear to indicate that I was referring to color. I agree that it's a great very easy drinking beer.

The Belgian aromatic gives a malty/biscuity aroma and flavor (I'm not sure of the impact on this beer since it was only used as 5% of the grist, but I knew I wanted to help potentiate those qualities a bit i.e. along the lines of your biscuit addition). Here is a link to the HBT description.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Belgian_Aromatic

A very cool, hadn't heard of that grain yet. Looks like I'll be giving it a shot!

I really like this grain, although I haven't started incorporating it until my last few beers and only in low percentages. I'm actually considering using it for a SMaSH.

Aromatic is a specialty malt. I would NOT advise doing a SMaSH with it. A little goes a long way.

Aromatic is a specialty malt. I would NOT advise doing a SMaSH with it. A little goes a long way.

By no means do I wish to derail this thread, but there is a little precedence for an aromatic SMaSH:

Both Munich and aromatic should self-convert. I think it was Ohiobrewtus that posted a few years ago about a 100% aromatic malt SMaSH. It converted just fine.

Yes, I recently tasted ohiobrewtus's aromatic/cascade SMaSH. It certainly has enough diastatic power to convert on its own...the beer turned out pretty nice. I'd say try it out. It's got me jonesin to try an all-victory SMaSH...:D

The Aromatic malt did fully convert, and the result was very good. Both Evan and PseudoChef received a bottle.

Again, this Green Line thread is great. Thanks for the great posts.

By no means do I wish to derail this thread, but there is a little precedence for an aromatic SMaSH:

Ha! I do remember reading that. Didn't sound appealing to me, but don't let that stop you! If it sounds good, go for it.

Back