Best use for a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a small chest freezer for next to nothing. What will be the best use of it. 1 to controll fementation temps 2 to make into a kegerator?

Replace the Thermometer with one you can dial to whatever temp you want, and you can have both. (Not so much at the same time, but...)

Kegerator. Dual purpose. Use it to ferment between kegs. You'll need a temp controller. You'll also need the hardware for a kegorator. Get the stuff you mount vertically. Then you could eventually get a cheap frige off CL and make a kegerator and have your freezer as a ferm chamber.

Just saying.

Ditto on the ferm chamber first. Old fridges make great kegerators and they can be had for less than $100 if you keep an eye on CL. They don't need temperature controllers to keep kegs at serving temp, you can mount shanks/faucets right through the door with no worries of hitting coolant lines and they are designed to run at "fridge" temps without any of the condensation issues that plague 40*F chest freezers.

Like 95% of the others, I say ferm chamber.

I have a 7 cu ft freezer that I was going to use for a kegerator and chamber but there just isn't enough room for both. Now I need to decide if I want to buy a fridge to use as a kegerator and use the freezer as a ferm chamber OR build a ferm chamber using a dorm fridge.

I use a 13ish cu ft. freezer ferm chamber. The other nice thing is that it contains any blow off or spills - much better than wifey's closet!

Back