Fruit Beer Kansas Peach Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycount

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safbrew S-33
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 SRM (very light)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Light peach flavor, great peach aroma. Maltiness and hops really come through.
3 lbs. Extra Light DME
2 lbs. Wheat DME @ 15 min
8 oz. Cara-pils

1 oz 3.1AA Hallertau @ 60min
0.5 oz 3.1AA Hallertau @ 1min

1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15min

After 7 days I added 6 pounds of canned peaches and 3 pounds of canned apricots to the primary. Also, I drained about half the cans of juice before adding and added the juice from the other half to the primary with the fruit. I then left it in this "secondary state" for 14 days. There was of course alot of trub and debris in the fermenter after this. If you're a clarity buff then I would probably rack to another fermenter after 14 days and leave it for a week or so, maybe cold crash.

Prime as normal and bottle. I poured one after 3 days (a little premature you think?), it was fairly light and clear, there's a good amount of peach aroma but not much peach flavors, hope it comes out over time. Will report back after a few weeks of bottle conditioning.

Oh and the name is a joke since we don't really grow peaches here, canned peaches are "Kansas peaches" to me :D

This looks very interesting. What were your Est Gravities and your OG if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking to brew something similar (Peach Wheat) and was debating where to start and what not.

1.042 start and 1.012 finish. Both were right at the estimates. Opened another one this weekend, its definitely getting better.

Sorry, I was on the Mobile version on my phone and it didnt pull up the beginning of your post where it showed the Gravities.

Whats I'm looking to make a Peach Wheat based off of the song "Soulshine" by the Allman Brothers and was looking to raise it to around 6.5%ish...seeing that you have already brewed this, whats your opinion?

ps I know that a normal Wheat isn't that high, however that doesn't matter to me at this point in my brewing career, i'm just trying to run with an idea.

I don't know, I'm not an expert at recipe formulation but you could pretty easily take this recipe and add corn sugar or honey or some other fermentable to get the gravity up. Either of those would probably contribute to more dryness in the brew though.

Best advice I can give you is to download beersmith or a similar program (or use hopville's calculator) and plug in ingredients until you get the results you want. That's what I did to get this recipe. And of course do searching on here! :)

I, actually going to split my Paulaner Hefeweizen clone tonight and keep one as normal and then add a portion of the canned peaches and apricots to the other fermenter. I will let you know how itturns out.

Another trial bottle tonight. The peach flavor is coming on better although there's a bit of sourness associated with it.

It's a good brew, I enjoy it.

Thanks for keeping me posted on that. I went and split the Paulaner Hefeweizen Clone that I did into a 3 Gallon batch of the Paulaner and then I added 3 Cans of Peaches. So we shall see what happens with it and how it turns out.

Let me know. Im drooling thinking about a nice glass of paulaner hefe right now yummm

Ok, I redid this beer, actually I pretty much started from scratch:

5.5 lbs 2-row (pale)
3.5 lbs white wheat malt
0.5 lbs rice hulls
Mashed in 12 qts of water @ 154 degrees F. Sparged 4.25 gallons of 168 degrees F water.

1 oz glacier (hey, its what I had!) @ 60min

Safale S-05
about 2.5oz of peach flavoring extract at kegging

I left this in the primary for about 15 days and it has been in the keg for about 3.5 weeks since then. The wheat and barley tastes are strong, I might consider more bittering hops and maybe even a later hop addition next time. The peach flavoring is WAY strong. I used half the bottle thinking I could add more later if necessary but damn, I wish I would've started around 1oz and worked my way up. The peach is VERY strong. I don't think it's artificial or medicinal tasting but it is way strong. It does go good with the wheat, I still wish the peach wasn't as strong.

I think the peach extract worked better. Start small on the extract in the bottling bucket/keg and add more in if necessary

Have a peach wheat in the bottles now. A week to go before the first trial. I added 4oz of xtract at bottling. Took a swallow of the last bit of the bottling bucket and it was a surprisingly nice peach taste. If that taste carries through then the extract will gain a lot of points in my eyes as I have stayed away from it in the past in favor of frozen "fresh" fruit in the secondary.

I already had it in my mind to get some peaches to slice wafer thin and freeze to have ready as a garnish/taste bud fooler if it came out too syrupy or medicine like. Might not need it, but might do it anyway!

Have a peach wheat in the bottles now. A week to go before the first trial. I added 4oz of xtract at bottling. Took a swallow of the last bit of the bottling bucket and it was a surprisingly nice peach taste. If that taste carries through then the extract will gain a lot of points in my eyes as I have stayed away from it in the past in favor of frozen "fresh" fruit in the secondary.

I already had it in my mind to get some peaches to slice wafer thin and freeze to have ready as a garnish/taste bud fooler if it came out too syrupy or medicine like. Might not need it, but might do it anyway!

Man, the peach has completely disappeared. I have knowingly rushed this beer from the start to have some homebrew to drink. I just expected 4oz to be too much extract for a young beer if anything. At bottling the peach flavor was there and a week later it is gone. Already a decent amount of carbonation and the priming sugar went in with the extract so I don't think it is a case of the extract not getting mixed in well enough.

A really good tasting beer even though it is rushed just no peach when I expected the opposite at this point.

Interesting. I bottled a few of mine and had one the other day, it was still very peachy. I actually cracked a bottle of the original batch too (I like to keep them and age them) and it seems like the peach in that first batch really came through nicely, it just had a bit of a sour off flavor.

Interesting. I bottled a few of mine and had one the other day, it was still very peachy. I actually cracked a bottle of the original batch too (I like to keep them and age them) and it seems like the peach in that first batch really came through nicely, it just had a bit of a sour off flavor.

I don't know if the peach and the greenness of the beer are cancelling each other out or what. Rushing it like I did I expected a lot of young flavors and a peach extract flavor that needed time to mellow. Instead I have a nice wheat beer that tastes better than it should at this stage and zero peach in taste or aroma.

I keep expecting to open a bottle and find that all 4ozs of flavoring ended up in that one bottle. I have even started tasting the debris in the bottles to see if maybe the flavoring attached to some of the solids but no peach there either.

The world may never know. I almost bumped my planned strawberry brew for a frozen peach brew but it will wait for the next batch.

I don't know if the peach and the greenness of the beer are cancelling each other out or what. Rushing it like I did I expected a lot of young flavors and a peach extract flavor that needed time to mellow. Instead I have a nice wheat beer that tastes better than it should at this stage and zero peach in taste or aroma.

I keep expecting to open a bottle and find that all 4ozs of flavoring ended up in that one bottle. I have even started tasting the debris in the bottles to see if maybe the flavoring attached to some of the solids but no peach there either.

The world may never know. I almost bumped my planned strawberry brew for a frozen peach brew but it will wait for the next batch.

Extract batch has been finished off with the peach flavor never showing back up.

Blonde over 6lbs of sure fine frozen peaches has hit the 1 week in bottle point. First one had me wondering if my taste buds just couldn't taste peaches any more. Second one had a great peach taste. Went ahead and threw a six pack in the fridge for the weekend. Even though it is still early on the peach my taste buds are in heaven going back and forth between homebrew strawberry blonde and homebrew peach blonde.

Currently the "fresh" peaches around here have zero flavor. I can't wait for the local peach orchards to really come into season to make a batch with real peaches.

Dude I lived in Garden City, Kansas for eleven years. They grow peaches all over Kansas. I used to make a run every year to Plains Kansas and pick peaches, pears and apples. Its there you just have to drive a bit. Happy brewing, : )

I am planning a peach wheat can you tell me if you skin fresh peaches or just freeze and add with skin on?

Back