Slightly higher wort temp - had to pitch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG batch today - a sweet stoute recipe with coffee and chocolate. One thing led to another and I couldn't wait any longer to pitch the yeast while the wort was 78.3 degrees. Is this going to work? Can I pitch additional yeast tomorrow if it does not?

It will work fine, P. Many brewers pitch their yeast at higher than fermentation temps, to kind of jump start the yeasties, then bring the temp down. I tend not to do that, I like to bring the wort down to around the fermentation temp. Have you brought the temp down since pitching? Or what temp are you fermenting at? If you can get it in the 65 - 68 degree range, that would be optimal.

But short answer - your yeast (and beer) are fine.

^^^ As long as you're under 105-110F, you're fine. Consider this an experiment. do something different next time, and see if controlling pitch or early (say, first 24 hours) fermentation temps makes a difference in your beers.

Back