Can You Brew It Recipe for Big Sky Moose Drool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on. I would guess that the higher attenuation is more of an explanation for your flavor than the higher OG. I also pitch low (62*) and try to ferment around 65 for the bulk of it, then ramp up to 70 to finish.

Because it's got a nice dose of dark malt, this can take a little extra time to reach peak flavor but it's a fairly sustained peak. You may find it improving over a couple weeks.

Right on. I would guess that the higher attenuation is more of an explanation for your flavor than the higher OG. I also pitch low (62*) and try to ferment around 65 for the bulk of it, then ramp up to 70 to finish.

Because it's got a nice dose of dark malt, this can take a little extra time to reach peak flavor but it's a fairly sustained peak. You may find it improving over a couple weeks.

Apparently it only needed a week. The malt character is just a bit subdued but it has a wonderful mouth feel and it tastes fantastic. The hops are right where I like them in a brown ale. There is a slight bitterness at the end. I'll have to try it against Moose Drool to see how close I got but at this point, I don't care. This could become my house beer. This is the best brown ale I have ever made. In fact it is the best beer EVER made...

well, the best beer ever made on May 17th, 2014, with my brewery, in my apartment, by me...:D

Fixing to enter this into a competition....would it do any good in American Brown ale? I would think it would get overshadowed by all the Janet's browns and the like (even though MD is a classic example). My gut tells me just put it in as a northern english brown.

Fixing to enter this into a competition....would it do any good in American Brown ale? I would think it would get overshadowed by all the Janet's browns and the like (even though MD is a classic example). My gut tells me just put it in as a northern english brown.

I am no expert but I have a feeling that a Moose Drool clone may not be hop forward enough for the American Brown Ale category.

I entered it as a Northern English Brown.

Side note, started drinking this last night. Never had the real thing, but this recipe makes an amazing brown. I brewed to the recipe except I used Maris Otter as the base and west yorkshire yeast (because I love the aroma that it throws).

I will post results after the competition.

I brewed this recently, and it came out a damn tasty beer. Granted, here in CT we don't have Moose Drool to compare it to, but on a recent trip out to Denver I got to try the real thing. From what I remember, this is a pretty close rendition. Recipe tweaked for ease of measuring and available hops.

Deer Dribble Brown Ale

10 lbs. American 2-row
1.25 lbs. American Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.03 lbs. American Black Patent
1.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.

Single infusion mash at 151 for 1 hour, 60 min boil. Fermented with Wyeast 1056 at 67 degrees. OG 1.053, FG 1.012. 19 SRM, 35 IBUs, 5.2% ABV

I made this a few weeks ago and just now tasted. It is freaking awesome. I have not had the real thing but this is tasty. Will be on the winter rotation for sure. Thanks for the recipe!!!:mug:

Is that .5oz of black patent correct? Or is that supposed to be .5lbs? Cant wait to try this!

-klink

Is that .5oz of black patent correct? Or is that supposed to be .5lbs? Cant wait to try this!

-klink

Yep. It's the kind of thing where the brewery is probably using one sack of BP in some enormous batch. I think I remember doing the math and it's like one sack in a 100bbl batch

-klink
Don't use .5 pounds of black patent! That is a lot! The small amount of BP is for color only.

I just brewed a three gallon batch. The immersion chiller is doing its thing as I write this. I used .3 ounces of BP! I needed to use my small gram scale to weigh it accurately.

I used 12 oz., up from 10, of the 80 degree crystal malt, to hopefully gain a bit more maltyness.

Edit: Oh and I had to use my gram scale for the hops as well. It doesn't seem like much hops at all but it works out just fine in a three gallon batch.

I used:
20g EKG
9g Willamette
9g Liberty

Don't use .5 pounds of black patent! That is a lot! The small amount of BP is for color only.

I just brewed a three gallon batch. The immersion chiller is doing its thing as I write this. I used .3 ounces of BP! I needed to use my small gram scale to weigh it accurately.

I used 12 oz., up from 10, of the 80 degree crystal malt, to hopefully gain a bit more maltyness.

Edit: Oh and I had to use my gram scale for the hops as well. It doesn't seem like much hops at all but it works out just fine in a three gallon batch.

I used:
20g EKG
9g Willamette
9g Liberty

Ahh ok. The guy at my LHBS was ringing me up and just gave the black patent because he didnt know how to ring up .5 oz haha. He also said "That sounds like a Jamil recipe". Anyway, have a yeast starter going and will brew this up on Monday. Thanks all for posting recipe and the replies :mug:

Ahh ok. The guy at my LHBS was ringing me up and just gave the black patent because he didnt know how to ring up .5 oz haha. He also said "That sounds like a Jamil recipe". Anyway, have a yeast starter going and will brew this up on Monday. Thanks all for posting recipe and the replies :mug:

Good luck and enjoy your brew day!

Hello All,
So I have this bottled up conditioning in a closet right now. 2 weeks in the fermentor and Christmas Eve will be 3 weeks in the bottle. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this brew as it ages. What I mean is, does it get better with age, worse with age? I am hoping at three weeks it will already be delicious :) as i am serving it Christmas day. Any thoughts?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

-Klink

Hello All,
So I have this bottled up conditioning in a closet right now. 2 weeks in the fermentor and Christmas Eve will be 3 weeks in the bottle. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this brew as it ages. What I mean is, does it get better with age, worse with age? I am hoping at three weeks it will already be delicious :) as i am serving it Christmas day. Any thoughts?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

-Klink

It ages nicely. When young, it's pretty deep in the American Brown category (though not without a bit of noticeable English character), but as some of the caramels turn to toffee and it drops some bitterness it's a tasty example of a Northern English Brown.

Sounds delicious!! The sample I had before bottling had a really nice chocolate toasty flavor. I'm glad to hear it should be ok serving so early. I doubt it will last long enough to find out how it tastes after some aging lol. Maybe I will hide a couple of bottles. Thanks for the input.

-Klink

This beer came out fantastic! If you're thinking of brewing this recipe, do it. Great holiday beer.

-Klink

Taking the recipe from the Jamil show interview with Big Sky Brew and post 1 on this thread, I can't get the FG below 1.021 and I can't figure it out. Can someone help?

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Moose Drool CYBI
Brewer: Cannman
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.45 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 24.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.9 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Malt British Bairds Crystal 70/80 (75.0 Grain 2 10.1 %
5.4 oz Chocolate Malt (475.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %
0.5 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.2 %
1.40 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 26.9 IBUs
0.40 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.4 IBUs
0.60 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 2.5 IBUs
0.60 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: 04 Medium-Full Body (154F) BIAB
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 6.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 7.36 gal of water at 160.3 F 154.0 F 50 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:

Hi from Australia!

A friend bought some Moose Drool back from the US a few months ago so I decided I would brew this up for him (he is from Denver).

Dropped a little short on OG @ 1.049 but on the flip side i will get about 5L (a gallon) more delicious MD goodness.

Mashed at 67 C or 153 F

I have used this yeast quite alot in other brews and find it produces a very malty beer, interesting to see how it turns out with the hops competing with the maltiness.

Make a big starter and aerate to avoid too much fruitiness. I normally start it at 17C (63F) and let it slowly rise over 4 days to 21C (70F) then hold it there for a week or two before crashing. This yeast flocculates like crazy and you can easily get away without a cold crash.

I don't have a MD to do a side by side but will try and get a hold of one and report back regardless.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow. I used Jamil's recipe on the first page of the thread except I added a half pound of flaked oats.

So I want to brew this Sunday but I have a question about the crystal malt. I have domestic 60L or Fawcett Dark Crystal I which is 83-90L. Any suggestions?

Going to brew this next (hopefully this week). I got my E K Goldings home and realized that they are only 3.8% AA. I'll need a whole ounce in my 3 gallon batch which will get me to a little over 31 IBUs.

I just enjoyed a couple pints of my latest version I brewed a little over 2 weeks ago and this one is outstanding. It has a wonderful malty nuttiness that is exactly what I have been trying to get in a beer for a very long time.

I used the exact recipe with the exception of adding .3 ounces of carared to the 3 gallon batch. I also fermented it a little warmer than I normally do at 68° F. Most of my fermentations have been at about 64° F so this has me thinking maybe the warmer temp is more ideal for this brew. After reading the first post in this thread again, it does say to ferment at 67*° and increase to 70° after most of the fermentation has completed.
I can't say this is an exact clone of Moose Drool but it is the best brown ale I have ever attempted.

Oh. by the way, the OG was 1.049 with a FG of 1.014. 4.6 % ABV

I'll be brewing this tomorrow. I used Jamil's recipe on the first page of the thread except I added a half pound of flaked oats.

FYI - I entered this in the Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd for American and Brown Ales (37.5!).

Thanks to Jamil for an awesome recipe! This has been one of my favorite home brews.

My LHBS has Crisp Crystal 77. Anyone know if this is the same as what the original recipe calls for? The only other thing they have similar is Caramel 80

Just sat down after an early morning brew session. Having a coffee and Irish cream.
This is my first attempt at a Brown Ale, love Moose Drool, usually make it to Montana at least once a year.
Blindman Brewing in Lacombe Alberta, makes a nice Brown Ale, close to Moose Drool.
My version sticks fairly close to the original recipe.
We have a small local malting company here in Alberta, Red Shed its called.
I used their Synergy 2 row as the base, and their chocolate, also added 4oz of biscuit, and used another 1/2 oz of the EKG for the final hop addition.
My OG was 1.055
Pitched WLP 002. I have used 005, and 007 in porters, never tried 002.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Cheers..

Back