One reason why I'll never live in Alabama..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score

Wow. Bat**** F-ing insane..

The representative from Montgomery is the worst example of a backwards politician I have ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see youtube from work, but that must be the "dem beers drank pretty good don't dey?"

at least alabama popped their cap and are now seeing some decent beer. mississippi is still not to the point of getting a motion to the floor.

can't see youtube from work, but that must be the "dem beers drank pretty good don't dey?"

at least alabama popped their cap and are now seeing some decent beer. mississippi is still not to the point of getting a motion to the floor.

You are correct. I'm happy to hear that it passed in the House, but boy were those arguments horrible and completely invalid.

The bill did pass this past Spring, which of course points out that the majority of folks ultimately supported the sale of high gravity beers in Alabama.

There are loopy folks everywhere. Unfortunately, there are a number of them in our legislature.

Yes, I've been talking about this with some friends this morning and they corrected me that the video is a little old and the bill did pass.

iirc, it's not very old, like just last session.

i wish mississippi could do whatever alabama did. i'm a "raise your pints" "lifetime" member and i don't get any correspondence from them and have no idea what's going on with any legislation over here.

A NY'er criticizing other states governments?

Meanwhile we are being held hostage by special intersts that won't allow us to buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store. Not to mention being the highest taxed state in the country. Not to mention....

There are many Alabama residents who would respond to you by saying "...and we are glad you feel that way, keep your condescending attitude at home."

I, of course, am not among them. As far as you know. ;)

I wonder why they decided to set the new cap at 13.9% ABV. Seems like a kind of random number.

Here's my transcription of the Montgomery representative Alvin Holmes from 5:45 in the video:

Yo what's wrong with the beer we got?

I mean the beer we got drank pretty good don't it?

I ain't never heard nobody complain about the beer we have.

It drank pretty good. Budweiser. Uh what's the name of some of dem other beer? Budweiser and what else? Miller? Coors?
It drank pretty good don't it?

Uh Mr Jacks who asked you to sponsor this bill?

Mr Jackson: The Free the Hops foundation.

Yo what kinda foundation is that?

Mr Jackson: These are young people.. from, from... I would use the term, maybe from Germany... that came in with Mercedes.

<Holmes in indignant voice>: From Germany???​

This comedy is so funny that it's sad only because it's from elected US representatives. I don't know where the sponsor got the idea that the Free the Hops people were Germans with Mercedes. :)

Now we've got some brewpub laws to change, container laws, and to legalize homebrew. guess i'll have to wait to homebrew until that law passes ;)

Wow, that was just special. I didnt know it was illegal to purchase beers with higher alcohol content in other states (is wine and whiskey illegal?). Those had to be some of the worst arguments against the bill, they just couldnt come up with something to make into a decent argument. The arguments for the bill actually seemed well put together. I hope it passes, that sucks for people that live there, there's soooo much beer thats amazing but is above 6.0%. I live in Oregon where micro breweries are all over the place, I couldnt imagine a world without my big beers. And like one said, they are expensive, they are something I treat myself with (im a grad student with little money).

So homebrewers from the area, is it illegal to brew your own beer that is above 6%?

Wow, the guy from Montgomery sounded like a made-up stereotype of a southern black man. I hope that's his alter ego, and that he truly doesn't act and think like that.

So homebrewers from the area, is it illegal to brew your own beer that is above 6%?

technically, its illegal to brew your own beer here - period

above or below 6% isn't relevant

having said that, its not something thats ever enforced -- i have friends in the Sherrif's Dept and in the DA's office and they don't have a problem with drinking my home brew, I really doubt it would ever cause a problem at all as long as you didn't get some butthole neighbor complaining about you or you were being drunk and disorderly or something. in Alabama we leave each other alone to do our own thing, Yankees used to do that once - should try it again - we call it freedom

and by the way, I don't know if you guys knew this or not but the 6% law is gone, its like 13.9% or something like that now - we get the same nice big beers as anyone else does, you just have to get them at a liqour store and not at the grocery or the gas station

never judge a persons intellect by how they speak...

But to argue against a bill and only know the name Bud and have to ask for the others, at least do your homework on the subject . One representative said we need to keep this out of teenagers hands well duh You need to kept all alcohol out of teenagers hands till the law changes to 18 again.

So I guess teens don't get their hands on Bud or whats the others again :) or anything distilled in Alabama.

Ya the teens are going to pay 5 or 6 bucks for one higher alcohol beer .. When the can get a case a natty for 10.

technically, its illegal to brew your own beer here - period

above or below 6% isn't relevant

having said that, its not something thats ever enforced -- i have friends in the Sherrif's Dept and in the DA's office and they don't have a problem with drinking my home brew, I really doubt it would ever cause a problem at all as long as you didn't get some butthole neighbor complaining about you or you were being drunk and disorderly or something. in Alabama we leave each other alone to do our own thing, Yankees used to do that once - should try it again - we call it freedom

and by the way, I don't know if you guys knew this or not but the 6% law is gone, its like 13.9% or something like that now - we get the same nice big beers as anyone else does, you just have to get them at a liqour store and not at the grocery or the gas station

we need to follow in your footsteps. mississippi is ignorant when it comes to beer laws. there are only 3 beers that i can think of in mississippi that have more than 6% abv. rogue chocolate stout and dead guy which i think are 6.5% and the flying dog snake dog which is 7.1% and is probably the best beer you can get in our state and a pretty decent ipa. of course there is only one bar in the whole state that carries it.

It gets interesting down south. Mississippi was the first state to ratify prohibition and the last to repeal it in 1966. Wine is legal to make, so is barley wine but beer is not (huh?, yep it's true). Had a sheriff tell me that if they didn't carbonate it, it was legal. Interesting. So, I guess everyone there brews flat beer! LOL!

This comedy is so funny that it's sad only because it's from elected US representatives. I don't know where the sponsor got the idea that the Free the Hops people were Germans with Mercedes. :)

He's not a US representative at all, he's a member of the Alabama House not the US house.

I bet you guys who aren't from here dont know the whole back story on Alvin Holmes, but let me fill you in on how whacko this guy is really is, as well as the reason he's against beer and everything else.

First of all, you gotta realize he's a democrat and he represent's the 78th District which is basically a rural area, mostly farm land, just west of Montgomery between Montgomery and Selma. For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, its significant because its the area where "Sunday Bloody Sunday" occured in March 1965, Martin Luther King Jr and some others tried to march from Selma to Montgomery but the State Police basically beat them down and made them give up. Basically the birthplace of the civil rights movement in America. Now its home to dirt poor people, mostly black who're still stuck in victim of racism mindset.

Rep Holmes in addition to being a notorious race baiter, has also obstructed just about everything thats happened in the past 4-5 years in Alabama state politics. And this obstructionism is what you're witnessing on that video.

You have to realize whats going on doesn't have anything to do with beer.

Here's why he does it.

Sometime a few years ago there was a high way bill having to do with a road in Hoover Alabama, which is about 150 miles away from his district and pretty much has nothing to do with him at all - so he decided that this bill needed a bunch of unnecessary pork and loaded it up.

So this bill doesn't pass years because of Holmes, but one day he was away from the house and they take advantage of him being away to attach the Hoover Highway funding to another bill, pass that bill, and then just let the bill Holme's had been holding up with the pork die.

So after they do this and Holmes finds out what they've done he gets all butthurt and every since then in order to get even, he has obstructed every single bit of legislation that anyone has brought.

I mean absolutely everything. And in Alabama our House has rules similar to the US senate where someone can Philibuster and talk on and on to purposefully waste time and obstruct -- Holmes has taken full advantage of that for years.

So when you see him on the video spouting crap that doesn't really make sense about beer -- well now you know whats really going on. Its not that he's really that stupid, its that he's really that big of a jackass - lol I know thats probably even harder for some of you to believe, but its the truth.

He doesn't care one way or the other about beer at all - he's just trying to be an ass, and he doesn't care which side or what position he comes down on - he just wants to obstruct everything anyone does.

Doesn't care if its good for his constituents or not, and his constituents don't even care that he does such a piss poor job of representing them and their interests. He's a Kappa, and he goes to a Missionary Baptist Church and gets folks rilled up about YT -- in that part of the country thats all he needs to go to keep getting elected anyway.

Its just an angry man holding a grudge over some pork he tried to attach to an unrelated highway bill - and he's been lashing out at everyone and everything ever since. And because of the district he represents nobody will ever call him on it because if they do he will shout "Racist!" and then he'll be elected no matter what else.

And now you know the real story about that video.

I could never live in the Bible Belt. Between the bible-thumping abolitionists and the insanely hot weather, I wouldn't last a week.

I could never live in the Bible Belt. Between the bible-thumping abolitionists and the insanely hot weather, I wouldn't last a week.

I feel the same way about cold winters up North (and by North I mean north of Memphis).

You just have to train for the weather. I find that drinking cool homebrew is good training.

I cant help but throw some gas on this fire....................Thank GOD we spanked those guys in the civil war;)

insert yankee remark here_____________________:ban:

Latest posts

Back