Sorachi Ace Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Nice Guy

Reaction score
I haven't made this, it is just an idea I have been toying around with.

Please let me kow what you think about this recipe. I want a well balanced to malty beer that showcases my sorachi ace hops. I don't mind plenty hop flavor and arome, I just don't this to be an ipa. Hard to describe... nice caramel, lemony flavors with maybe a little honey... no biscuit flavors, a little bit of sweetness.

I have 2 oz of these hops (around 13% aa I think), a fairly good selection of specialty grains, and plenty light DME.

I am an extract brewer but I'm not afraid to do a mini-mash. I've just never done one, can I do one with a large grain bag or do I need to lauter. (it's ok to laugh, I'm pretty clueless as to this process... but I do own some brewing books!) I just thought I'd throw this in as I have some grains I could use that need a mash, honey malt, etc...

Sorachi Ace Red Version 1 (the label is important too, think a kamikaze flag) :D

"tea"
4 oz 40 l crystal
4 oz 60 l crystal
4 oz 90 l crystal
4 oz amber malt ("home made!")
2 oz roasted barley (for the red part)

Boil
6# Light DME (maybe more to balance the hops?)
1/4 oz sorachi ace 60 min
1/4 oz sorachi ace 30 min
1/4 oz sorachi ace 10 min
1/4 oz sorachi ace flameout

12 oz honey at flameout to dry the beer out a tiny bit and for the slightest honey flavor. Not too sure if I need this.

Thanks!

If you've used Sorachi Ace hops before you know how interesting they are. They're one of my favorite hops because of thier unique "lemony" quality. This should be an interesting beer. I used them in a wit once to fabulous results. :mug:

I've never used them but out of a two pound order they are the first ones I'll try.

EDIT: oops, actually the second, I forgot about the chinook I used

I'm finishing up a pound of whole Sorachi and I do like them. I would increase the late additions though (the later the addition the more I'd be likely to increase the amount). I've even paired Sorachi/Pacman too. :mug: Looks like a tasty beer.

I'd be interested to see what color you get. I just can't seem to make a real red-colored beer. My last attempt had a full pound of Carared plus a tiny bit of RB. I suppose there is a tiny bit of brick-color to the otherwise brown beer.:(

I found a beer program last night and this won't really be red, more like reddish brown.

I may have to increase the 30, 10 minute and flameout additions, the IBU's were lower than I thought.

Here is a revised recipe, I had to use Erocia hops as the program didn't have an option for Sorachi. I'm still using Sorachi of course!

I doubled the hops, the IBU's were too low before.

sorachi_red.JPG

I've used Sorachi Ace a fair bit in lagers and some wheat beers. I'm going to do a Belgian Pale Ale with them fairly soon. If it were me, I'd back off on the higher crystals, and use more of the 40L. To me, lemon and caramel is not a great combo. Orange and caramel, yes. Actually, if it were me, (and what I'm going to do for my pale ale), I'd skip altogether any crystal malts and go with aromatic/biscuit instead, probably some munich too (I'm out of Vienna :( ) My thinking is along the lines of how wonderful it is to dip bread in the leftover juice from a lemony shrimp scampi. Please do report back as there are just too many different combo's that I'd like too brew, but don't have the time. At least I ccan do so vicarously throught HBT.

Interesting...

I might go more 40 and less 60 and 90.

I love fat tire but I'm not too sure about biscuity beers, sometimes they aren't my thing and I'm not sure what about them I don't like. (what grain or whatever)

I might do the biscuity thing, need to search, and do some research. (heavy drinking :D)

One thing is for certain, I have to make some shrimp scampi soon, mmm...

Back