Fermenting started over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesbeer

Reaction score
I've had what I hope to be a great IPA in the fermenter for almost two weeks. The airlock water was almost level and activity stopped for about a day. I took a G reading and resealed the bucket. Later that day it started to bubble up again and is still going today as strong as a couple days ago! OG was 1.060 and yesterday was 1.020. Is this normal for this much activity after such a lull?

Could be just CO2 coming out of solution, or @ 1.020 you may not be done yet. Not sure what your FG should be... Just wait a bit longer, maybe another week, check the FG again and see if it is the same.. If so bottle. and drink in a few weeks :)

The same thing happened to me. I have a wheat beer that has been in the primary for 17 days. I moved the beer to take a gravity reading. The reading was 1.020 also. And after about a few hours, the beer is bubbling away and there is a solid layer of krausen. And the beer was delicious tasting by the way!!! I am going to hold out for at least another week until I bottle. Funny how this is striking similar.

Did you move the fermenter at all?

Did you take the reading and then it started bubbling?

Usually when you rile up the yeasties they get going again. I usually give mine a bit of a swirl after 1 or 2 weeks to get a better FG.

Those little yeasties have awaken from their sleep alright!! I will never bottle again without taking a gravity reading. I am bad about watching the airlock and deciding on when to bottle. Never again.

I did move it a bit. Good advice all around as it is two days alter and still churning away! Here is the recipe a local Do it Yourself store and I came up with:

6lb. Light Dried Malt
1 lb. Sparkling Amber Malt
3/4 lb Crystal Malt 120
1/2 lb. Carapils Malt 20 L
2 oz. Northern Brewer (Bittering)
1 oz. Kent Goldings (Flavoring)
1 oz. Kent Goldings (Finishing) + 1/2 oz Northern Brewer
Wyeast 1272XL Thames Valley Ale

OG 1.060
FG 1.014

What do you think?

Latest posts