So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malty_Dog said:
Pretty sure I'm going to brew a JZ's APA on Saturday. The question is: 3 gal BIAB AG or 5 gal PM?

I was looking at doing the same recipe this weekend. Going to do it 3 gal BIAB. This will be my first attempt at BIAB. Cheers!

Trying my hand at an American Brown Ale for the first time on Sunday. Sounds good for Fall weather.

I'm brewing a Belgian Pumpkin Dubbel on Saturday. I'm a little behind but it is still hot down here for the most part so it should be ready mid-end of November. First attempt at something like this. But if it works, I'll keep doing it!

I'm also thinking of doing a Saison d'Hiver Sunday. Not sure about that one yet. Some other things I want to tweak on that recipe.

ForumRunner_20131017_174553.jpg

I will be brewing a pumpkin ale on Sunday, going to use 3 cans of roasted pumpkin puree and some vanilla bean with pumpkin spice. It should be really nice. Just got a 1.5 liter starter going tonight, I'm thinking I will just dump the whole thing in Sunday afternoon.

Sippin on a Stone IPA ;)

Cheers Gentlemen:mug:

just had an epic night brew session. belgian stout, more or less based off o allagash black. i only have 3 or 4 all grains under my belt and overshot my og by almost 10 points! gonna b close to an 8%er instead of 7 and im definitely not complaining. i did have to throw in some magnum i had lyn around to compensate so hopefully all is well. tasted very very good going into the carboy however! cheers yall

Brewing tonight a pumpkin ale for thanksgiving. Looking forward to a nice session of home brewing with the boys.. Question for anyone who has brewed Pumpkin beer before, do you recommend a bed of rice hulls or mixed in with the entire mash.. I have talked to some folks who said the mash gets pretty sticky with the pumpkin. Any recommendations?

imperial pumpkin ale postponed until next weekend; I funked my starter

relieved to have my first infection out of the way on a $7.99 starter instead of the $34.99 full batch

Brewing tonight a pumpkin ale for thanksgiving. Looking forward to a nice session of home brewing with the boys.. Question for anyone who has brewed Pumpkin beer before, do you recommend a bed of rice hulls or mixed in with the entire mash.. I have talked to some folks who said the mash gets pretty sticky with the pumpkin. Any recommendations?

You'll definitely want rice hulls. I'd start with 1/2 lb, but have more on hand just in case. My pumpkin mash that used 2x29 oz cans of pumpkin still took almost 1hr to batch sparge, even though I used over 1lb of rice hulls. I even tried the protein rest trick and had a hot mashout infusion. The common way to use rice hulls is to mix them in.

i'm going to steep the pumpkin in a bag with the heating strike water, take it out before mashing in

get the color & some starches/sugars and even if some pulp gets into the mash, I have a greatly reduced chance of it getting stuck

My last pumpkin beer used 6lbs of fresh roasted pumpkin in the mash with 1/2lb of rice hulls mixed in. Ran a little slow, but worked just fine. When using rice hulls, try to soak them before adding to the mash or make sure you increase your strike water because they suck up quite a bit.

Fri night. 5 gal of orfys mild English ale.

Sat. 5 gal of raging Irish red and 3 gal cream ale/BMC clone sorta beer for the wife

Family is headed out of town so time to get some home brewing in🍺

Doing a Christmas black this weekend, racking the RIS to secondary and cleaning up the after effects of the massive blowoff.

Bottling a batch of wine and clearing two others.

Brewing a robust porter tomorrow. My yeast starter has been going since last night. I ground up the grain yesterday afternoon. I've been stressed out a bit lately, so I'm ready for a brew day.

:ban:

Not brewing, but I'm trying to propagate some yeast i have. The plan is to take the initial viral and step it up in two states to enough for 4, but there's no activity 8 hours in.

I'll bottle my English "Barleywine". I used WLP099 as a secondary strain to dry it out, and it got hungry and ate everything in its path down to 1.004 (never using that strain again). It tasted good, but definitely wasn't a Barleywine any more, so I stuck the it on oak for a couple months, and I'll bottle it with Brett C tomorrow. Then I'll make the Cayenne Mango Short Mead I didn't get to last weekend.

You'll definitely want rice hulls. I'd start with 1/2 lb, but have more on hand just in case. My pumpkin mash that used 2x29 oz cans of pumpkin still took almost 1hr to batch sparge, even though I used over 1lb of rice hulls. I even tried the protein rest trick and had a hot mashout infusion. The common way to use rice hulls is to mix them in.

Used 1# of hulls throughout the mash, was still pretty slow, probably could have used another ½#. I had to blow back into the tube a couple times. Temps were stable at 152-154 the whole time... Raised to about 162 for mash out and it started flowing very well.

Turned out great, wort tasted good with subtle spice and pumpkin. If anyone would like to try the recipe please feel free to message me..

Put a pic up when chilling, great color.

Thanks all

OG 1.060

ForumRunner_20131019_064030.png

Finally brewed my NG Wisconsin Belgian Red clone last night. My own recipe with some assistance from the lhbs on yeasts. Hit the color spot on. Now it gets to sit for a year before secondary.

Brewing a Maris Otter/EKG/Nottingham SMaSH and a Scottish 80 Schilling. The SMaSH will be my first AG in too long. Looking forward to it.

5 gallon batch of AG Scottish 70/- Second time on my newly finished system, going through a few basic styles before I start making 10 gallon batched and messing with split fermentations. Up in 2 weeks: Foreign Export Stout.

Just mashed in my pumpkin ale. Finally got a chance to brew it this year. Trying out my new setup and made a few tweaks, so hopefully it comes out as good or better than last year's did.

Finally boiling after the longest sparge ever.

ForumRunner_20131019_160549.jpg

Just so everyone knows, graham crackers and canned pumpkin make for a terribly stuck sparge. Destroyed the steel braid in my cooler mash tun while getting it flowing. Maybe it's time to buy a real one. :)

Edit: Even with 2.5lb of rice hulls.

Brewing up a mini mash pumpkin beer tomorrow. This will be my first batch in over a year and I couldn't be more excited

Latest posts

Back