OK, I'll be the first..."King Henry" Clone:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnychicago

Reaction score
If anyone has had this amazing beer and discovered that they immediately retired it, you know why a proper clone is absolutely necessary.

Just working off info from Goose's website, random interviews of brewers and techniques they've used in other English style and Imperial beers. My computer (with beersmith) is in the shop, so I'm just using Hopville. I'll run it through my system later.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Mash Efficiency: 75% (60min. @ 154F)
Yeast: Wyeast 1968 cake
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Original Gravity: 1.134
Terminal Gravity: 1.033
IBU: 59.1
ABV: 13.5%
Boil Time: 90 min.
Color: 23 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @67F + D rest
Secondary Fermentation: 9 months @ 68F

Grains:
91% - 22lb Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
5% - 1lb 4oz Crystal Wheat Malt (Thomas Fawcett)
4% - 1lb Caramel Malt -120L
0% - ⅛oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett)

Hops (pellets):
3oz Pilgrim (11.5% AA) @ 60 min.
2oz Styrian Goldings (5.4% AA) @ 30 min.
1oz Styrian Goldings (5.4% AA) @ 10 min.

Misc:
Whirlfloc tablet @15
1oz American oak cubes (boiled, dried, then soaked for 4 months in 3oz GI Bourbon County Brand Stout and .5oz Heaven Hill Bourbon).

I'll probably brew a nice big batch of ESB or English IPA first then rinse the yeast and pitch according to the pitch rate calculator.

What do you all think? Any glaring errors or do you think this could work?

I actually have not brewed this yet. I'm saving the recipe for a major event. When I do get around to it, I will post the results.

I have my BCBS clone bubbling away now, so I will be collecting the oak and some beer from that fermenter and using it in this recipe. I'll keep you posted.

I brewed something very similar to this recipe about 6 months ago. I think it's going to take at least another 6 months before it will mellow out a bit.

I mashed at 149 because I thought the yeast would struggle to attenuate properly but I shouldn't have as I can detect a bit of alcohol heat. I haven't added any oak chips yet but have some soaking in bourbon.

I did a second batch & it turned out better. It's only two months old & it's already very, very smooth.

I actually have not brewed this yet. I'm saving the recipe for a major event. When I do get around to it, I will post the results.

I have my BCBS clone bubbling away now, so I will be collecting the oak and some beer from that fermenter and using it in this recipe. I'll keep you posted.

Care to share that recipe with me?

Latest posts

Back