Plasma Cutter Table Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
My neighbor just got a plasma cutter table (think CNC with a plasma cutter) and is looking for some ideas for projects. I know he wants to fab off road parts for his hobby but I was trying to come up with some brewing applications. For now all I could think of was more artsy stuff like signs of a brew system/brewery name or maybe a hop cone. I guess he can load basically any pic/jpeg/clip art file and cut it, no special format required. I'm going to scan the BN Army Hop Grenade to see how it would turn out, maybe some tap handle logos. I'll post results later. Are there any other ideas? I think he's open for commissioning projects if you're dying for something.

First of all, eat a turd. All of my neighbours collectively do jack squat in this department. I'm lucky a few of them know what hole the gas goes into on their mowers. If I ever move, I'm going to request a showing of all the nearby garages.

Go all electric brewing and use it to do the cutouts for PIDs, switches, indicator lights, outlets, plugs, et.al. - in your controller panel.

Cut the pieces for a tippy dump chute.
Cut out a precision false bottom or hopstopper.
Cool looking heat shields for burners that look like flames.
+1 on the control panel.
Cut the top flange off a sanke so it will accept an oval shaped corny lid.

First of all, eat a turd. All of my neighbours collectively do jack squat in this department. I'm lucky a few of them know what hole the gas goes into on their mowers. If I ever move, I'm going to request a showing of all the nearby garages.
No kidding huh?
Oh wait, just noticed that he is in the town just North of me! Woo Hooo!

I did one with a dremel and one with a plasma. Both required clean up after. I asked the LHBS guy (Larry) and he said it's hard to do a perfect circle with the plasma, even with a jig, because the keg wants to spring back and flex as you cut. I haven't seen the plasma table in action yet but maybe it could do it.

As for the control panel, I already have one but maybe this is a good excuse to redo it. I'd think that a waterjet or knockouts would be a better option though for cleaness of cut.

I'm going to get some scrap for him to practice on and see how clean and fine a detail it can do. I'm guessing it will leave an industrial looking finish which would be cool for yard at or a sign.

... well, there IS a happy medium between a plasma cutter and a Dremel called a $30 angle grinder.
Well, I tend to agree (I have an angle grinder) - however - The gentle curve required for a corny lid and to be able to cut an opening for it is nearly impossible to do with an angle grinder. The Dremel and its small diameter cutter makes it a lot easier to accomplish.

I did one with a dremel and one with a plasma. Both required clean up after. I asked the LHBS guy (Larry) and he said it's hard to do a perfect circle with the plasma, even with a jig, because the keg wants to spring back and flex as you cut. I haven't seen the plasma table in action yet but maybe it could do it.

As for the control panel, I already have one but maybe this is a good excuse to redo it. I'd think that a waterjet or knockouts would be a better option though for cleaness of cut.

I'm going to get some scrap for him to practice on and see how clean and fine a detail it can do. I'm guessing it will leave an industrial looking finish which would be cool for yard at or a sign.

The keg would be hard, as CNC tables are designed for sheet goods.. You'd have to build some sort of recess in the table, which means redesign after the fact... unless, his table has a large channel already built into it in anticipation of an indexer.. but that's usually something you'd only find on a router table... The other option is if he has a fourth axis to rotate the plasma head.. (not likely)

OTOH, as a plasma, there might be enough room in between the structure supports to remove some slats and cut it with the keg sticking down through the bed, and supported off the floor somehow.. If he has a water tray for slag, and it's up near the material bed, then that idea becomes almost impossible... Seems like a lot more trouble than its' worth really...

BTW, I'm actually building a CNC router table now, that will do double duty as a CNC plasma, and later become a full time plasma when I build the big mama CNC router.. (because switching the table over between the two uses will be a major PITA)

I plan to take full advantage of all the hobby markets I am into.... as well as some cool product ideas I have for the building industry....

And I will be able to build custom kitchen cabinets and what not like I was a whole shop of guys without breaking a sweat....

Trying to get out of this economc hole I'm currently stuck in...

Just about finished with my 3D mockup, have already been buying the steel I need, ordering the aluminum rails and bearing trucks next week... Been cleaning out and going through all the stuff stored in the workshop a little each week and am starting to see daylight...

Now that I'm getting to where I can settle into a routine with the brewing thing, it's full steam ahead on the table... After years of dreaming about it, it's finally happening!

The keg would be hard, as CNC tables are designed for sheet goods.. You'd have to build some sort of recess in the table, which means redesign after the fact... unless, his table has a large channel already built into it in anticipation of an indexer.. but that's usually something you'd only find on a router table... The other option is if he has a fourth axis to rotate the plasma head.. (not likely)

OTOH, as a plasma, there might be enough room in between the structure supports to remove some slats and cut it with the keg sticking down through the bed, and supported off the floor somehow.. If he has a water tray for slag, and it's up near the material bed, then that idea becomes almost impossible... Seems like a lot more trouble than its' worth really...

BTW, I'm actually building a CNC router table now, that will do double duty as a CNC plasma, and later become a full time plasma when I build the big mama CNC router.. (because switching the table over between the two uses will be a major PITA)

I plan to take full advantage of all the hobby markets I am into.... as well as some cool product ideas I have for the building industry....

And I will be able to build custom kitchen cabinets and what not like I was a whole shop of guys without breaking a sweat....

Trying to get out of this economc hole I'm currently stuck in...

Just about finished with my 3D mockup, have already been buying the steel I need, ordering the aluminum rails and bearing trucks next week... Been cleaning out and going through all the stuff stored in the workshop a little each week and am starting to see daylight...

Now that I'm getting to where I can settle into a routine with the brewing thing, it's full steam ahead on the table... After years of dreaming about it, it's finally happening!

I'm sure one could build a CNC router for cheaper but have you seen these?
http://www.shopbottools.com/

Where have I been? I didn't even know they made a weekend warrior plasma cutter...

Screw the brew gear, go with post-modern sculpture. Hold on, you wouldn't need a plasma cutter for that, just a title.

After some learning, my neighbor finally started to do some cutting.

I went on google images and found a hop and crossbones picture that he imported and set up to cut.

5490481089_1c8059b71b.jpg

Here it is after the cut on the table:

5490482981_58d77e37a7.jpg

And here is the final product:

5490484363_59933d4055.jpg

As this isn't his artwork, he couldn't sell them but I think it looks pretty promising. Time for me to design my own logo.

That came out looking pretty good. As stated before, you are very lucky as my neighbors don't even own a lawn mower and have someone else cut their grass.

Back