Washing Yeast from Improperly Fermented Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I understand I don't want to wash yeast that has been stressed due to a high gravity wort, but what about this:

I just brewed a clone of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. The problem is that ambient temps shot up in the last week and I ended up fermenting at 74-76 deg F. Seeing as theis yeast is listed as ideal from 60-70 deg F, would this be considered "stressed" yeast?

If I wash the yeast and re-pitch later at a more appropriate temp, will I get normal performance (esters, phenols, etc.) out of this yeast or have I permanently altered the strain?

Thanks

If the fermentation was pretty much complete i would probably use it. Some people ramp up their ferm temps to squeze out a couple of gravity points toward the end of fermentation. I under the impresion that most of the esters are produce in the early stages of fermentation. I could be very wrong since i've only been brewing for about a year and primarily use dry yeast.

The problem is that ambient temps shot up in the last week and I ended up fermenting at 74-76 deg F.

The recommend temperature for making a yeast starter is 70F - 75F, so no, the yeast is not stressed but your current beer will probably taste a bit "off". ;)

The recommend temperature for making a yeast starter is 70F - 75F, so no, the yeast is not stressed but your current beer will probably taste a bit "off". ;)

yeah, there'sdefinitely going to be some fusels in there. I'm just wondering if I wash it and re-use it later, will I get more of the same fusels, phenols, esters or will it behave "normally"?

Back