Adding Fruit to primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am making a blackberry wine with some blackberry juice I got from my LHBS. I am thinking of adding some fruit to the primary. Is this feasable? I had to get ride of the fruit that came in the can (Vinters Harvest), for a (dumb) reason I don't feel like discuss lol. Anyways, If I got to the store and buy 3 lbs of blackberries, chop them coarsely and toss them in would that work? Anything I should do prior to adding them to the primary? Should I wait until secondary now?

Ok guys, I am making a blackberry wine with some blackberry juice I got from my LHBS. I am thinking of adding some fruit to the primary. Is this feasable? I had to get ride of the fruit that came in the can (Vinters Harvest), for a (dumb) reason I don't feel like discuss lol. Anyways, If I got to the store and buy 3 lbs of blackberries, chop them coarsely and toss them in would that work? Anything I should do prior to adding them to the primary? Should I wait until secondary now?

Because its a blackberry wine anyway, it sounds like they should go into the primary to me. Chop'em up and of course mesh bag them. That way you aren't going to get a stuck siphon! :)

Sure, use some blackberries in the blackberry wine. I've only used fruit, and not juice, but you could easily use 2 pounds of fruit per gallon for more flavor than just juice. The fruit will also provide some tannins, as well as some more malic acid. I would suggest using Lalvin's 71B-1122 (Narbonne) yeast strain, as it metabolizes more malic acid than other strains. It also gives a "fruity" bouquet- nice in blackberry wine.

Any campden?

Yes, for fruit. No for pasteurized juice, of if the juice already has sulfites.

Freeze the fruit, if fresh, and then thaw it in a big mesh bag in primary. Pour some boiling water over it (maybe a cup or two) into which you've dissolved 1 campden tablet per intended gallon of wine, stir, and then add the rest of the ingredients except for yeast. Stir well, let sit, covered with a towel, for 24 hours and then add your yeast.

Yes, for fruit. No for pasteurized juice, of if the juice already has sulfites.

Freeze the fruit, if fresh, and then thaw it in a big mesh bag in primary. Pour some boiling water over it (maybe a cup or two) into which you've dissolved 1 campden tablet per intended gallon of wine, stir, and then add the rest of the ingredients except for yeast. Stir well, let sit, covered with a towel, for 24 hours and then add your yeast.

Ok, well I already have the juice fermenting for about 3 days. Sorry if I am being a pain in the ass. Would the process above be the same regardless? Just put the fruit (in mesh bag) in the already fermenting juice?

Ok, well I already have the juice fermenting for about 3 days. Sorry if I am being a pain in the ass. Would the process above be the same regardless? Just put the fruit (in mesh bag) in the already fermenting juice?

Use the campden tablets first! Put the berries in a mesh bag in a bowl, and pour a solution of campden and water over it. Put the lid on the bowl, and let that sit for 24 hours. Then you can add the fruit to the wine.

Back