Ebay Temp Controller (STC-1000) Wiring diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedIdiot

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm in the process of building a fermentation chamber. I have it about half done, but I'm going to wait til its finished to post pictures.

I'm posting because I want to get some feedback on my wiring diagram, to make sure its going to work like I want it to.

I am using a single STC-1000 dual control (heat and cool) controller. I have gutted a dorm fridge and I'm using the compressor and coils from that for the cooling. I will probably set up the light bulb in a can or a small space heater this winter if the laundry room gets too cold (unlikely, but you never know).

As far as wiring goes, I'm going to have 2x double outlets mounted on the ferm chamber. 1 will be for heating, 1 will be for cooling, and the other two will always be on (1 will be running a pair of computer fans that I have rigged up). The 2nd always on plug with be in case I ever need anything else, or maybe one to mount a small light inside or something. I am going to use the top of the ferm chamber as a countertop, and could probably use this last outlet for my yeast starter stirplate, or whatever else I might need.

I'm using a 10 foot, 14 guage, 15 amp, 3-prong plug to connect to the wall. Take a look at my wiring diagram and see if I'm missing anything... Thanks!
Conner

Wiring diagram.gif

Looks correct to me also.
For the fuse, you can put it where you mentioned, or put it before that on the hot just as it comes into the box. That way the fuse protects both the controller and the always on outlet.

Ok. I assume I would use a 15amp fuse, since that is what the outlets and the power cord are rated for?

What's the point of a 15amp fuse? Tie into a 15amp breaker off your panel.

I didn't fuse the ones I made for that reason. However many garages have 20A circuits in them, so in that case I would fuse it.

What's the point of a 15amp fuse? Tie into a 15amp breaker off your panel.

Well, this should be going into my laundry/furnace/storage room. Which is where the fuse box is. I will have to check the wall outlet(s) I can use and see what breaker they are run to.

I don't think I'll need a fuse, but we'll see.

So any consensus on whether or not I need to add a 15 amp? I can't determine if the outlets available are 15amp or 20amp, without turning actual breakers on and off (poorly labeled box). I don't want to do that because I have 4 aquariums and 2 reptile cages running off of one of the basement circuits, and they don't always respond well to having their power cut like that.

So any consensus on whether or not I need to add a 15 amp? I can't determine if the outlets available are 15amp or 20amp, without turning actual breakers on and off (poorly labeled box). I don't want to do that because I have 4 aquariums and 2 reptile cages running off of one of the basement circuits, and they don't always respond well to having their power cut like that.

Bump for an answer to this.

STC-1000 fuse or no fuse? I'm in an apartment and I can't mess with building electrical or I'll get evicted.

Appreciate any help, thanks. :mug:

A fuse would help if it happened to be on a 20 amp circuit. Also would keep everything else on the circuit running.

I did end up adding a fuse in line in my wiring. I think it was a 15amp slow-blow fuse?

I actually have this up and running now on my DIY fermentation chamber. Its working perfectly. I ended up using a diagram from Revvy (I think).

I have 3 dual outlets hooked up. 1 dual outlet is for cooling (compressor and fan to run while its on), 1 dual outlet is for heating (heat source and fan to run while its on), and 1 dual outlet is always on, in case I need constant power for something like a stirplate, or if I want to add an interior light later on.

I did end up adding a fuse in line in my wiring. I think it was a 15amp slow-blow fuse?

I actually have this up and running now on my DIY fermentation chamber. Its working perfectly. I ended up using a diagram from Revvy (I think).

I have 3 dual outlets hooked up. 1 dual outlet is for cooling (compressor and fan to run while its on), 1 dual outlet is for heating (heat source and fan to run while its on), and 1 dual outlet is always on, in case I need constant power for something like a stirplate, or if I want to add an interior light later on.

Thanks. Is there a 14 gauge inline fuse holder from Radio Shack? When I went there today all they had was the 18 gauge automotive unit. This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102786

Can I use this wired to an extension cable even though there are differences in wire gauge?

Thanks for the help.

Back