Brewing TV - episode 18: New Glarus Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNorthernBrewer

Reaction score
Features:
- New Glarus Brewing Company

Brewing TV makes a long-awaited and anticipated (by us.... by you, too?) road trip to visit New Glarus Brewing Company. Well-known for their beers and packaging, we talk with Dan and Deb Carey about NGBC's mission and beer philosophy. Hop on a Spotted Cow and come with us.

http://www.brewingtv.com

All for brew, brew for all!

I see you guys put out a kit that is your homage to Spotted Cow.

That is one awesome brewery. I think they are the pinnacle of brewing. Large, yet small with high quality beer that sells itself. I'm proud and happy to be in Wisconsin; the only place on earth you can purchase it.

In case it's not said enough, let me just say that I LOVE the BTV content. It's the best brewing media presentation on the web.

Nevermind, I found it (Speckled Heifer)

Yep.....From the clone recipes I've seen, it's probably in the ballpark of being accurate. Don't know about the cluster hops though. Cluster hops are sort of the generic hops for cream ales.

Yep.....From the clone recipes I've seen, it's probably in the ballpark of being accurate. Don't know about the cluster hops though. Cluster hops are sort of the generic hops for cream ales.

I just brewed a version of Spotted Cow, but used Hallertau hops instead. I also used a Kolsch Wyeast 2565. In a few weeks I'll see how it is.

I just brewed a version of Spotted Cow, but used Hallertau hops instead. I also used a Kolsch Wyeast 2565. In a few weeks I'll see how it is.

I personally prefer hallertau. Even if it isn't authentic, it should still be tasty. Although, I guess the hops aren't as important as the malt profile, since Spotted Cow doesn't really have much hop flavor or aroma.

The clones I've seen recommend Kolsch yeast. NB seems to recommend American Ale for a lot of their kits. I'm guessing it lends a relatively neutral flavor profile.

I personally prefer hallertau. Even if it isn't authentic, it should still be tasty. Although, I guess the hops aren't as important as the malt profile, since Spotted Cow doesn't really have much hop flavor or aroma.

The clones I've seen recommend Kolsch yeast. NB seems to recommend American Ale for a lot of their kits. I'm guessing it lends a relatively neutral flavor profile.

JJL, You say the hallertau isn't authentic; do you know what is or what's closer?

i brewed up speckled heifer on the 10th.. went pretty good. can't wait to try it out! love me some spotted cow (road slush is my second fave).

LOVE New Glarus's fruit beers! I just wish someone would figure out how they make that great flavor in the base beer (seems to be basically the same base beer for most of their fruited beers), but I've yet to find any info at all.

You Wisconsin people, I'm always up for trading for some Raspberry Tart. PM me if interested :)

JJL, You say the hallertau isn't authentic; do you know what is or what's closer?

Sorry...I didn't mean to sound as if I knew hallertau was or wasn't authentic. I just meant that I don't know any more than you about what is authentic, and whether it is or isn't authentic, IMO it would still be better than cluster. I'm just not that big of a fan of cluster hops.

Back