Automatic HERMS control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to convert my newly constructed HERMS rig to automatic control. I have two Ranco temperature controllers (one for the mash/pump, the other for the hot liquor tank/burner). I plan on using pilot ignition for the burner with a furnace valve controlling the gas.

My first question:
For you HVAC types, my furnace valve is a 24 VAC unit with a 3-wire connector. The connections are labeled, PM, C, and HI. I'm assuming that C is common and HI is where I'd connect the hot wire to fully open the valve. Am I correct? What is the PM connection for? I can post a pic if that would help.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm going to convert my newly constructed HERMS rig to automatic control. I have two Ranco temperature controllers (one for the mash/pump, the other for the hot liquor tank/burner). I plan on using pilot ignition for the burner with a furnace valve controlling the gas.

My first question:
For you HVAC types, my furnace valve is a 24 VAC unit with a 3-wire connector. The connections are labeled, PM, C, and HI. I'm assuming that C is common and HI is where I'd connect the hot wire to fully open the valve. Am I correct? What is the PM connection for? I can post a pic if that would help.

Yuri not to second guess your setup but.. Why not let the pump run continuous and use the ranco to control a on/off gas valve? This is how I have seen most setups.

Doh!! just reread your post, you are doing that.. Ok but still why not let the mash pump constant on? If you don't will you not run the risk of hotspots in the mash?

Well, see, if he gets his setup all automated, that means that he'll be able to brew while working on more projects to, uh, help him brew...

Todd said:
Yuri not to second guess your setup but.. Why not let the pump run continuous and use the ranco to control a on/off gas valve? This is how I have seen most setups.

Doh!! just reread your post, you are doing that.. Ok but still why not let the mash pump constant on? If you don't will you not run the risk of hotspots in the mash?
I figured I'd save wear on the pump if I only ran it when I wanted a temperature change. If I recirculate well/long enough, I don't think I run much of a risk with hot spots. The pump isn't supposed to be continuous duty, and it was expensive... Plus, I have a spare Ranco sitting around, so it won't hurt to hook it up to something.

And yes, I'm brewing this weekend...without the automation portion (or at least without the complete automation setup).

Back