So I am sitting at a bar in South Korea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
... with a single (1) draft tap. Menu has no english except on the beer section where it lists. Draft beer and stout.

I drink 2 generic pale draft beer of some unknown German influence. Then my mind starts to think. Where is the stout?

I order a stout in my worst Korean ("mak-ju stout joe-say-oh"). Barkeep draws a beer from the same tap, reaches behind the bar, grabs a jar of some unknown dark liquid, puts a spoon full in and gives it a 1/2 stir.

It was actually quite good. Ummmm what did I just drink?

Oh! I see a new fad in homebrewing. You brew a very clean beer, and then just have to buy a set of syrups that instantly transform the beer into a stout... or an IPA... or an Apricot Wheat... or a chile beer. No worries about pipelines. You just have to keep beer & syrup on hand.

Although, knowing us, we'd figure out how to make the syrups, and spend our time making those instead.

I was in Onyang (a Samsung city).

The beer was carbonated (vs stout), the beer was lacking body (vs stout), but the flavor was not dissimilar to Shiner Black (Texas).

Did not know if it was just a dark LME or if it was a commercial product? My google skills came up with nothing.

As jamesnsw mentioned, it is kind of a neat concept for the 1 batch / 1 keg guys.

"Jimmy Wah beer best beer in Vietnam! We put in just a touch of formaldehyde for flavor. Some people get sick, yeah. So if you have to be rushed to a holpital, then when you return, I give you a free salad."

They learned from the kits... same basic stuff, spoonful of variation, people think new beer... (so far I am just a kit brewer)

This story made my day. Thank-you :D

yeah this situation is bad here in korea (where i am now). even the brewpubs and online homebrew sites frustrate the hell out of me. not to be mean but they dont have a clue about beer at all. theres a half decent brewpub in the city that has a pils/weiss/dunkel selection. theyre all 100% malt, quaffable but not inspiring. its just that they all use a lager yeast. even the "weiss". the only idea of beer they seem to have is german, even the ingredients at online sites.

rage post, but their best BMC "Max" by hite co. is dirt cheap and a bit better than american BMC. also im not paying a MINIMUM of 10 bucks for a pint of guinness.

going to start homebrewing, but everything seems to be twice the price at least. not too happy, but i need good beer. even their pricey import selection is crap

Back