How do you afford more beer/equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnelson929

Reaction score
Do most of you just buy all the equipment, kits, extract, grain, etc on your own dime, or do you have groups of friends that get together to help spend and make all the decisions? Do you charge any friends/family for drinking your beer to help offset the costs?

On my own dime(s). I'm single and have decent disposable income to support my brewing habit. I also never charge anyone for my homebrew-- I'm (somewhat) generous by nature and get a lot of satisfaction sharing my homebrew with others. It's also probably skirting the edge of what's legal to charge people for your beer.

-Steve

one piece at a time , I try to buy one thing that I need a month
what ever you do don't tell your friends it's cheap to make home brew they they think its free for you and your supposed to supply them there drunk. :cross:

slow and steady wins the race. I would love it if I could dump a ton of cash towards my setup but I piece it together slowly, look for deals and try to be innovative.

I have side consulting jobs. I funnel those moneys into a separate account. Pays for all the toys. Wife is oblivious.

I feel pretty strongly about NOT ever charging anyone for brew. In fact, if there is one, I believe the homebrewers credo should include

"I Will Share My Beer".

My second hobby is saltwater aquariums. I frag and sell my corals for money or this hobby (and to bu more corals).
tom

This hobby is on my dime. I do it for the enjoyment, I could buy beer from the store for half price since I only pay half the bill when the AMEX bill comes so I do this for fun and pay all of it.

One kidney can get enough cash for a nice temp-controlled conical.

Any ideas on how many "donations" at one of those "clinics" would be required for me to acquire one of these temp controlled conicals? Cause I would really love to have one ;)

I give my wife beer in exchange for sexual favors. Then in turn, I get to spend at least half of what we spend at the sex shop on grains and hops.

It is a cycle actually.

I give away a lot of beer and drink a lot of it too and never ask for money, a few people have tried it and paid me for ingredients but that's as far as I go now, I wouldn't want to charge people ever.

I am an auto tech and we are allowed to do work on the side under certain circumstances, that is really my play money for brewing....

Spring breakers come to Anchorage? Man by contrast I guess the spring breakers have it good in the lower 48 LOL :D

Anchorage?!?! Wow...I'm sitting on a GOLD MINE here in San Diego! Pacific Beach to be exact...college age party/drinking capital of CA in the summer time.

Next time a drunk spring breaker comes sauntering along, drunk and falling halfway over, his kidneys are MINE!!

I took this image a couple of months ago. It was 7am and right outside our house was really loud rap music. So I'm thinking, "Who the heck blasts rap music at 7AM?!?! Granted they have a nice amp and sub woofer, but seriously...7am...". So I go outside, see the neighbor (woman in her 60's) staring at the car, and I go up to the guy. He's passed out. Not even me clapping in his face would wake him up...so I walked to the driver side door, opened it up, and turned the music off. It was pretty comical. I'm actually surprised the guy was able to make it back to his car, since we're right on the beach and the bars are about 3-4 blocks away.
drunk.jpg

I bet you could find some hot young organs at Humpy's during spring break.

I misread that as "hot young orphans". I was about to call you a sick little gnome. heheh

And I don't really mind running all my purchases by SWMBO. Giving her control of our finances is how I ended up with a 795 credit rating when we went to buy a house this year. If I controlled the checkbook, we'd be living in our car by now. :D

I misread that as "hot your orphans". I was about to call you a sick little gnome. heheh

And I don't really mind running all my purchases by SWMBO. Giving her control of our finances is how I ended up with a 795 credit rating when we went to buy a house this year. If I controlled the checkbook, we'd be living in our car by now. :D

I'll agree to THAT! My wife keeps me above water, and I don't know how.

SWMBO bought my first set up. cool since she hate beer. I have upgraded along the way to all grain and I buy the ingredients (really it's her money since I am teh student and she the bacon bringer). She's damn cool about it.

I should learn to make vodka... She'd like that. gotta keep her happy.

Terje

I am going to drink beer anyway, so the fact that it is cheaper to brew my own was a selling point for me. I'm just going to have to brew somethng she will drink from time to time.
I get SPIFFS from work once in a while so those will help off set the equipment costs.

Bottles I gathered and still gather from drinking pro breweries. As for new equipment I look at the months expenses and buy what I need based on what I can spend. I will buy all grain equipment soon, but need to research it. Considering that a homebrew costs on average .50 for an extract brew and less for all grain, everything pays for itself over time.

Back