Why I don't like brewing with friends LOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Distractions.

I'm making a 2nd batch of a wonderful brown ale that uses 2 oz of Willamette hops. I have had numerous perfect batches in a row - I'm on a great beer roll.

EXCEPT I find out way to late that I'm 1/4 oz short of Willamette. So while entertaining friends who have zero interest in brewing - only drinking I'm looking at be hop collection and trying to find SOMETHING English.

My brain cramps up and for SOME GOD AWFUL reason pick Mt Hood for the last 1/4 oz. Yea - I know I know!! BRAIN FART

Perhaps it was the copious amounts of beer in my system.

This morning I'm looking and scratching my head. MOUNT HOOD? You gotta be freaking kidding.

I am so anal about making beer - WTF happened. I don't have a clue what this will turn out to be LOL.

I know what ya mean.I had an unexpected party last night while I was brewing a PM with a late extract addition.It went in at flameout.Was supposed to be a blonde ale.It'll probably be an albino.

Ha ha. I'm sure it will be good. And if not? Well, I recommend drinking copiuos amounts of beer before consuming. ****ty beer is always better this way.

When did you realize you were short? Before or after your bittering addition? If you've GOT to sub, sub in for the bittering additions, you'll never tell the difference especially with that small quantity. Good to keep some clean bittering hops (Perle, Magnum) around anyway.

Good point - It was before I even - did THAT wrong! It's almost like there was some substance in me making bad decisions.

I fell the same way. I almost always invite a certain friend over to brew, because he really likes to come over and "help". Now, he doesn't drink beer, but appreciates the process and getting together.

The problem is, we always get off on tangets and he is usually interested in discussing politics or software or whatever, and it's hard for me to focus on the brewing. If he would do some reading up on the process himself, or ask questions and offer to help doing certain things it would be better.

I think he is hesitant to offer help because he is afraid he might do it wrong. But there is plenty one can do while I am checking figures on the laptop, or whatever. He just finds it easier to chat about all kinds of other stuff instead.

I guess there is just too much slack time when you are not the main brewer. I almost think it would be better if we had TWO batches going simultaneously. That way he has to focus on his own beer instead of just watching me.

I almost think it would be better if we had TWO batches going simultaneously. That way he has to focus on his own beer instead of just watching me.

Buy 'em a kit and bring him over for HIS brew-day. I do that to people who like to help me cook. :D

I've had friends come over and lend a hand during brewdays, and I always welcome their presence. Another pair of hands, good conversation and camaraderie.

Process comes with practice and familiarity. I've taken multitasking on brewdays to a whole new level:

- sitting back and smoking a cigar while reading a good book.
- tending the smoker
- throwing darts with a pint in hand.

:mug:

Buy 'em a kit and bring him over for HIS brew-day. I do that to people who like to help me cook. :D

He doesn't really drink beer (yet). He is a bit older than I am and has been around a while. He doesn't like to drink, but has tried to get in the habit of having a beer a day for his health. He has said that Labatts is so far the only beer where he has drank it and said Hmm, I could drink more of that.

That is one reason I am going to try and brew a lighter beer. If I can make one that he likes good enough, then maybe he will start wanting to brew more, or will want to learn the process more and help out.

But I do see where making it HIS brew day might be what it takes to make him participate more and I'll be there to help out.

Back