Majorly too hot mash temp, what to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmir

Reaction score
So due to my own negligence, I let my mash get to about 180. First 15 minutes were at 152 I checked and temp was down 2 degrees so I lit the burner super low. This is onlythe 2nd brew on this system. Last time it was a much colder day and that maintained. This time it got too high. I realized at 50 minutes added ice and stirred down to 150. I tossed in another 2 lbs of 2 row in hopes of adding some enzyme back. I let it go a total of 90 minutes. Iodine test showed conversion, which really surprised me. Will this wort ferment normally?? OG was about 0.04 low, which is within a typical margin of error. I went ahead and boiled and pitched as planned since the damage was done.
Anyone been through a miss this extreme?

Well, you got some conversion at the start, none in the middle, and probably some more at the end. You may be ok, but don't be surptrised if your FG is a bit high.

Good luck!

At 180 you have essentially denatured the enzymes. The good news is that on the trip up to that point you probably got some conversion, but mostly alpha amylase which means you have a lot more dextrines in the wort that are not going to ferment out.

I would expect a higher FG than anticipated.

I did this exact same thing on my first brew on a new system. Sorry to tell you that I had some really bad astringency. I hoped it would fade but its been six months and its isn't any better. I hope yours turns out better.

It's hard to say how it will turn out. It might be fine... I've had 2 row pass the iodine-conversion test after half an hour. In this case it might turn out as a normal beer. I probably wouldn't have added the extra malt, but you'll just have to see. I'm gonna say it will be alright though, maybe not finish quite as low as you want.

Thank you. Its comforting to know others have made this mistake too.. The wort didn't taste especially astringent, maybe it will be drinkable. I figured I have nothing to lose by trying to ferment it, most of the ingredients were already used. The recipe has 1lb of sugar in it, and I pitched slurry from a 2l wlp500 starter which is fairly attenuative, and it was oxygenated.
It's started fermenting already after a 4 hr lag.

You should have performed the iodine test before you panicked and threw more malt in the tun.

RDWHAHB.

According to John Palmer in, "How to Brew" third edition, the majority of the conversion (perhaps all, depending on the quality of the crush) happens in the first 20 minutes. I've seen evidence that with a very fine crush that the conversion is pretty much done in 15 minutes. Your second addition of base malt should have helped a lot too.

When people talk about astringency I think they are thinking about tanning extraction but that takes high temp and high pH. Your malted grain in the water should drive the pH low so you can't get tannins by simply heating the wort.

According to John Palmer in, "How to Brew" third edition, the majority of the conversion (perhaps all, depending on the quality of the crush) happens in the first 20 minutes. I've seen evidence that with a very fine crush that the conversion is pretty much done in 15 minutes. Your second addition of base malt should have helped a lot too.

When people talk about astringency I think they are thinking about tanning extraction but that takes high temp and high pH. Your malted grain in the water should drive the pH low so you can't get tannins by simply heating the wort.

This is correct. You already completed all your enzyme activity. If you had boiled your mash you would still not extract excessive tannins. It would be similar to a decoction. In how to brew there is a chart with a "congress mash" profile and this is what you accomplished.

Well both halves of the batch (wlp500 & wlp550are already down to 1.014 and taste promising!

Back