Drinking on brewday... interesting results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhog

Reaction score
:confused::confused:I just have to vent for a second. Yesterday i decided to brew two extract batches (stout and a tripple). It have not brewed extract since i switched to all-grain 3 months after starting to brew... 1 year ago. Here's the gist of it all. I was enjoying several bottles of dead guy ale while brewing. I didn't realize that i accidently used the pilsner extract (meant for the tripple) on the stout recipe which i brewed first! I did modify the recipe and added 1.5 pounds of honey to the last minutes of the boil so it should help out with the gravity points. Subsequently, I had to use the 8 lbs of ultralight malt on the tripple. How will the flavors be affected in your opinion?

I hate to admit this, but I feel you- Last brew session I did a double IPA with tons of hop additions throughout. I decided 'Hey I might as well brew that drunkleweizen since I have the ingredients, it's really simple and I have all the equipment out. Brew session went great, until I went to put it into primary. No painters tape to label it, and dry erase marker died... Ehh IPA is on the right, Drunkleweizen is on the left (alphabetical, makes sense, right?) I then did clean up in about half to an hour, which meant more beer, and finished up at 1 AM. I don't remember, but am fairly certain I zonked out soon after hitting the pillow.

Go to move them to secondary, and add more hops for dry hopping to my IPA. @(*&~! I'm pretty sure I ended up hopping my drunkleweizen! I think I am just going to wait it out.. D@mn not having a LOCAL LHBS ; due to shipping 1 OZ of Cascades shipped will be like $10! Think I will just sit on it and sample the taste here in a week or two...
:off:
Sorry to hijack, but I thought my blunder might make you feel better :)

The way i see it, at least we were buzzed. I would feel like a complete idiot if i made the same mistake sober. Anyway, who knows... I may be onto something by accident. I had 2 liter starters for both and the airlock went wild about 4-5 hours after pitching. If anything i think my tripple might be darker than planned... maybe I'll call it "Suntan Tripple" Thanks for the input

Yeah, I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Wanted to get my brews on before christmas vacation, stayed up until 2 AM brewing... after bottling 2 batches...while drinking non-stop homebrews and various other beers. I was attempting to make a Brew Haus Pale Ale and a Wanderlust clone (cream ale type) simultaneously.

Turns out I put the lager yeast in the pale ale, and the pale ale yeast in the wanderlust. Then I went on vacation for 2 weeks, and forgot which was in each primary. I seem to remember thinking of a way to remember them such as "The Blue Top has the ______." But of course I was drunk or buzzed and couldn't fill in the blank the next morning. So I tried to lager one but not sure if it was the one which actually had the lager yeast! So needless to say, I have no idea what I'll end up with.

Bottled them both yesterday, so in a month or so I'll figure it out. Who knows... Maybe I'll invent a new style.

Then again I think the dumbest mistake I ever had was realizing after my 60 minute boil......that I hadn't put in the hops yet. Had a lreadystarted cooling it down before I looked on the counter and saw the hops packet lying there. Oops.

The way i see it, at least we were buzzed. I would feel like a complete idiot if i made the same mistake sober.

I seem to remember thinking of a way to remember them such as "The Blue Top has the ______." But of course I was drunk or buzzed and couldn't fill in the blank the next morning. So I tried to lager one but not sure if it was the one which actually had the lager yeast! So needless to say, I have no idea what I'll end up with.

Bottled them both yesterday, so in a month or so I'll figure it out. Who knows... Maybe I'll invent a new style.

Draft home brew is so good and so convenient, how could I not drink it! I could have used something else to mark them, but it seemed so simple- until I woke up the next morning, inspected the bubbling and was 'oh crap'... Who knows, hoppy drunkleweizen? Could be good....

I need to brew more so I can grab some more cascade hops with my next purchase... :mug:

There is a saying in Aviation:

"Why measure with a micrometer if you cut with an Ax?"

I have made some beer that was tough to classify, but it all drank good!:mug:

Latest posts

Back