Blonde Ale Perfect 10 Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
120 ml Nottingham Yeast Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Cold crashed, added gelatin to primary after gentle swirl.
Tasting Notes
Mild toast and slightly floral malt character, mildly fruity from hops, very clean.
Not sure we need another blonde ale recipe but I wanted to add this one as I've brewed several blondes now and have finally stumbled upon a very good approach.

Recipe based on 81% efficiency.
Yeast is washed yeast slurry, fresh, only 2 weeks old.

Grains:
6.75 lb Rahr 2-Row
.75 lb Carapils
.5 lb British Amber Malt
2 oz Acid Malt (optional but I like the crispness it seems to add)

Hops:
1 oz Jarrylo 14.4 AAU @ 11 minutes from end of boil = 18 IBUs
1 oz Jarrylo hop stand at 160-165F for 15-25 minutes

Yeast:
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Extras:
1 Whirlfloc Tablet

Water:
5-6 gallons Walmart drinking water & 2-3 gallons Walmart spring water, any soft water profile with enough carbonates to balance should do well.

Mash:
155-156 F for 60 minutes in 2.5 gallons/1.25 qts:lb grain
168 F mash-out 15 minutes
Sparge 2.5 gallons 168-170 F water
Top up to boil volume

Boil 60 mins (though with such a late addition of hops this is a prime candidate for a 30 min boil)

Chill to 63-65 F, aerate with oxygen or pour back and forth between brew pot and fermenter several times.

Pitch yeast (1-1.5 packets of properly hydrated dry yeast if no slurry available) and maintain temps in the 63-66 F range.

I was wanting to turn this brew around as fast as possible but schedule got messed up and it went for 17 or 18 days prior to kegging. Rather than secondary I chilled the primary fermenter down to 30-34 F for 48 hours then gently stirred the primary fermenter and added 1/2 packet of prepared gelatin. 3 days later it was dropped very clear, transferred to keg.

Force carb at 34 F on 35-40 psi for 48 hours.

Tasting Notes:
Great gentle malt character with a gentle cookie/biscuit flavor and mild floral impact from the Rahr base grain. The hops don't come through so much pear-apple as described but are mildly fruity, slightly spicy, with a hint of pepper. Clean yeast character with just a mild mild fruitiness from the yeast that would be completely hidden in a bolder beer. Very clean, bittering is all on center/sides of tongue, non-astringent. Wonderfully drinkable with a non-thin mouthfeel and crisp finish that has you wanting another taste.

Just won Gold in Hybrid Ales/Lagers category and 3rd in BOS round up against much more flavorful beers with this brew. It's a good brew worth trying but it is super simple and balanced. More bittering would be a mistake as would a lot more malt or hop flavor. However 3/4# of amber rather than 1/2# and maybe another .5-1 oz in the hop-stand would work nicely for this beer. Additionally making it with a different variety of hops will work well also. I just sent a kit of this with Mosaic hops to a friend. Centennial should work nicely but is on the outer limits of boldness I'd try for the hop profile and would avoid the real strong C hops such as Cascade, Columbus and others such as Nugget. German hops, especially Tradition work well in this brew and blondes in general. I believe I'm hitting it with Mt Hood and/or Calypso for my next go. The Jarrylo hops do work wonderfully here.

Good luck and let me know if you brew it.
Finally here is a link to the recipe and a brew log with complete information:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/jarrylo-blonde-ale-9a1d0c

Latest posts

Back