Thinking about my first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I've got cider & wine under my belt now, and am thinking about doing a beer or 2 just to change things up. My tenant loves Apfelwein, but still prefers beer, unfortunately, he's a BMC guy (Bud & Bud Light specifically). I was thinking about doing a BMC clone as one of my first brews for him (I'm thinking the other will be a porter for me). What style is Bud/Bud Light, American Light Ale? (I know, skunk piss isn't a style, but next closest... :drunk: )

Has anyone tried or tasted the 'This Bud's For You' or 'American Light 20 minute boil kit' from Midwest?

I'd go for something like a Kolsch. BMC drinkers typically like it.

Why spend all that time and effort trying to recreate Bud when you can just go to the store and buy a pallet of the stuff for like $50?

Evan! said:
I'd go for something like a Kolsch. BMC drinkers typically like it.

Why spend all that time and effort trying to recreate Bud when you can just go to the store and buy a pallet of the stuff for like $50?

lol....+1 for Kolsch...

now my next question is...

Is Kolsch a lager? It's starting to cool off here in Northern Maine, and where I'm keeping the winery is gonna be sitting right about 55-60 for the next couple months, and might get down to 50'ish as winter approaches. The problem with a wood stove, it doesn't heat the entire house evenly.

Adolphus79 said:
now my next question is...

Is Kolsch a lager? It's starting to cool off here in Northern Maine, and where I'm keeping the winery is gonna be sitting right about 55-60 for the next couple months, and might get down to 50'ish as winter approaches. The problem with a wood stove, it doesn't heat the entire house evenly.

Not a lager, no, but it does like cold. Here's some info on Kolsch yeast:

Wyeast Labs Kolsch Yeast - 2565

Yeast Type Ale
Yeast Form Liquid
Floccuation Low
Attenuation 75.0 %
Optimum Fermentation Temperature 55.9 °F - 64.0 °F
Description True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60 °F range, (13-16 °C). Used to produce quick conditioning pseudo lager beers. Poor flocculating yeast requires filtration to produce bright beers or additional settling time.

I second (fourth?) the kolsch. I'm not a fan (as I'm a hoppy kind of girl) but it's an easy drinking, clean tasting beer with very little hoppiness or bitterness.

most Kolsch yeast are very temp tollarent and can ferment between 50 and 68 deg at least the Wyeast 2565 will but it also dosent clear well according to wyeast and needs to be filtered.
JJ

Back