mold advice question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
im sure this question has been asked time and time again but getting a specific answer to an exact problem is hard to find via e-search. So, i opened my fermentation chamber this morning after leaving my imperial rye PA in there on the yeast for two weeks. i found mold growing in the fridge and on the upper edges of the bucket. it went up to the lip of the lid but from i can tell it didnt go intothe bucket. the beer looked fine but had some tiny white specks suspended throughout it. The kind of specks that i wouldnt have thought too much about had there been no mold. has anyone had an expirience with mold and still had a good beer? should i worry? thanks for the help. cheers

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just some blowoff that got moldy. I had that happen recently, the beer was unaffected.

I would bet you're seeing yeast floating in the beer. If you had an airlock on the bucket there's very minimal chances you actually got any mold spores in the beer. Even if some did get in it most likely won't affect anything.

i useda blow off tube, from fermenter to glass of vodka water. forgot to change it out. it tasted fine, a bit alcoholic (but it is a 9% rye thats only two weeks old.) and a touch of sour. im worried about the sour evolving. its in a carboy now.

Back