First wine kit need some help with gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
I am in on step 2 of my wine kit. It has been fermenting for 7 days and I am told to check the gravity reading. I am using a refractometer and I dont know if I was just up too late, drank too much or am just plain confused because I am used to brewing beer but here is where I am at.

The starting gravity was 1.070. The instructions say to check the gravity before I move it to the next vessel to clear for 10 days. It says the gravity should be 1.010 or below. I check the gravity and it is 1.025. Using the calculators I have found that means the actual gravity is .996 approx.

Could that be right ? Am I losing my mind here ?

You can't really take an accurate refractometer reading once fermentation has begun, as alcohol skews the reading. There are correction tables, but they aren't accurate. You may or may not be finished with fermentation. You could proceed with the next step if you feel that you want to- or you could wait another few days. It doesn't really matter either way in this case.

Back