Green Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantastical

Reaction score
Long story short I have no beer right now!! :(

I brought two kegs to my girlfriend's brother's wedding and they were cleaned out. Much to my satisfaction they were enjoyed by all and I had many complements.

Nonetheless, because of my dry state, I kegged my week old hefeweizen yesterday and force carbed it. I tried it tonight and it tastes super green and smells of sulfur. I understand that both will clear up with conditioning but my question is...

Will beer condition the same way in a pressurized keg which is in a keezer?

Thanks, Matt

Doesn't seem likely, does it? How would that sulfur aroma escape if the keg is not only sealed but pressurized?

One thing you could consider doing: rig up a gas line with a beer line QD, attach it to the beer out post, open the relief valve (if it's ball lock - if not, you can stick a gas QD without a hose on the gas post) and bubbled CO2 through the keg. It'll definitely help lift the sulfur up and out...

Cheers!

I would let that hefe condition at room temperature for about 10 days. The green will go away faster if kept warm.

I've had sulfur in my hefe's in the keg and it's impossible to get rid of unless you vent it out some how.

day tripper's idea should work but will probably make a lot of foam.

In the past I have carbed the beer and then released the carbonation. This worked so so and I never really got rid of all the sulfur.

If you have sulfur the best move is to leave it in a fermenter until all the sulfur goes out the air lock.

I am going to leave it in the keg for now with the lid cracked and some cheese cloth on top for a few days. We will see how it goes.

More proof that patience is important.

Back