Kegging newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
Got a single keg setup from keg connection for christmas and about to use it. I have read enough that I have the basic setup and will work thru the carbonation part.

Te question that still remains is the check valve and getting beer up in the regulator. What is the proper setup for that, I have no clue on that partm if someone can link to an explanation or post one would appreciate it. Do not want a newbie mistake to cost me.

Other question is how many purges do I have to do to get rid of the O2?

Thanks
Jeff

I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking...

You do not want beer in the regulator though I'd think that is not what you're asking. Attach the regulator to the tank. Use gas line from the regulator to the gas-in connection to the in-post of the keg. On the beer-out post of the keg run beer line to either a picnic tap or regular tap/taps.

I purge the O2 from the keg before I rack in the beer. Connect up the gas line and pressure up the tank. Remember that CO2 is heavier than O2 so I would say purge for 5 seconds at a time for a few times. Then release the pressure and rack into the keg - now any splashing will not be oxygenated. I pressure up the keg to about 20 psi then chill the beer down to fridge temp (at this time of the year I use the cold porch). Over the next few days I reconnect the gas and pressure up as the CO2 dissolves into the beer.

Hope this helps.

B

I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking...

You do not want beer in the regulator though I'd think that is not what you're asking. Attach the regulator to the tank. Use gas line from the regulator to the gas-in connection to the in-post of the keg. On the beer-out post of the keg run beer line to either a picnic tap or regular tap/taps.

I purge the O2 from the keg before I rack in the beer. Connect up the gas line and pressure up the tank. Remember that CO2 is heavier than O2 so I would say purge for 5 seconds at a time for a few times. Then release the pressure and rack into the keg - now any splashing will not be oxygenated. I pressure up the keg to about 20 psi then chill the beer down to fridge temp (at this time of the year I use the cold porch). Over the next few days I reconnect the gas and pressure up as the CO2 dissolves into the beer.

Hope this helps.

B

Sorry to jump in on Jeff's post but I'm just about to start kegging too with a kit I picked up from keg connection.
How would you rack into a pressurized keg? Hook up my auto-siphon to the beer out line? I assumed I'd rack into the lid opening and then seal and pressurize but I'd certainly be open to an easier way.

Thanks.

I think the check valve is internal to the regulator from Keg Connection. Do you have a separate piece? If so, put it anywhere between the keg connector and the regulator. There should be an arrow on it to show you which way to face it. If you accidentally put it in backwards, I would assume it wouldn't work and you would get no gas. So, easy enough to turn it around.

Latest posts

Back