Hard Lemonade with Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddprofessor

Reaction score
Has anyone made a hard lemonade with Nottingham before? The only wine yeast I have on hand is Montrachet and I'm worried about it creating off flavors in the stressful acidic environment. I'm pretty much following Yooper's recipe.

I just tested my FG last night after 17 days, OG was 1.085 and FG is 0.995 using Nottingham. I just hydrated, not really a starter. Primary on the floor in 70 degree basement. Tasted sour but good. I used 7 can concentrate, 5 lb cane sugar, and 1 lb LME. Bottling this weekend. Worth mentioning is I tested the Apfelwein that was made at same time, and its great!

Thanks for the replies. I've got some going and it seems to be fermenting nicely. I do need to move it to a cooler since my apt gets up to 78 F.

I've used Nottingham to make apple wine twice now. The first time I didn't know about the issues with temp and my apple wine was pretty good but had a bit of band-aid/nail polish remover type smell which i think is from high fermentation temps.

Has anyone made a hard lemonade with Nottingham before? The only wine yeast I have on hand is Montrachet and I'm worried about it creating off flavors in the stressful acidic environment. I'm pretty much following Yooper's recipe.
Just to follow up on my previous post about using Nottingham, I sampled this over the weekend. After 6 weeks in the bottle it is so much smoother, but tart/sour. Adding one or two splenda packets to 12 ounce really makes a difference if you like it sweeter. Have to say though, after a couple swigs, you get acclimated to the sour taste, and its also 10%, so after one bottle I doubt it matters anyway:eek:

that's all i use for hard lemonade is montrachet. montrachet is neutral, and powerful

Back