(homer simpson) D'oh! Dropped digital Therm in Star-San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
Why not, you star-san everything else. This is what happens when you let the dumb side of your brain take over. Just threw the little b@astard in the star-san bucket when I was done taking a reading, apparently they stop working when they get wet(go figure). Yep cooled to 100 before the my dumb ass threw it in the star-san. Looks like im going to be guestimating my pitching temp. At least I know it will be below 100.

I covered the wort and its continuing to cool in a water bath, but I am still out a digital therm.

Its no monster-ator calamity but still...DOH!!! [slaps forehead]
-Jefe-

i just took a pic for everyone...i know how much we love them

This is what a wet tru-temp looks like. Just like a dry one only worthless.

DSCN0301.jpg

Take the battery out, remove the screws and rinse the whole thing out with water. There's nothing in there that will get ruined with water that I can tell. Most people think electronic circuit boards can't get wet but back when I was building $10,000 microwave amp circuit boards we scrubbed the crap out of them with hot water and dish detergent to get the flux off.

My plastic gallon pitcher that I use for vorlaufing, had some StarSan in it and I put it on top of my oz/gram scale without realizing it had a crack. Several ounces leaked all over the scale and it stopped working. I took it apart and let it dry out, and it was fine after a couple of days when I put it back together.

Update! Well I took Bobby M's advice and immediately took the thermometer apart and let it dry all day and night. I put it back together and....

Works great now...i will have to check its calibration but all signs point to yes.

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

Should be good to go. Like the above poster stated, some modern electronics can be submerged in water, and as long as they are turned off/battery removed and let to dry, they should operate again.

Yeah, water doesn't hurt MOST things as long as there's no power being applied. I've heard of people taking apart computer keyboards and running them through the dishwasher before with no problems at all.

Back