Son of a CRAP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
Shoot shoot darn and drat, (wish I could swear for real here). Well that was fun.

I'm brewing a BIAB stout, (my second AG BIAB)....and I decided OK, this time I won't use fermcap, I'll watch it hot break etc. Oh, and I'll leave the floating thermometer in there so that when I'm cooling, it will have been sanitized by my one hour boil, and I can use it to read wort temps.

So it comes to a boil. I wait. It hot breaks. Cool! Where's my thermometer?? I can't really see, cuz of all the steam, (keggles are tough to see into!), but the more I look, the more it isn't there.

Finally I find it. I couldn't see it because somehow the stupid RED CAP came off of it during the foaming hot break. I don't know how, (I wasn't stirring or anything), but I had a naked thermometer.

I wanted to get the red piece, cuz I didn't know if it would melt on the bottom of the keggle. I have a strainer, but it doesn't have a long enough handle to reach in. So I had to use a yardstick, and teflon tape to bind the strainer to the yardstick to go fishing. I finally got it out, but damn.

Oh yeah, before I used the yardstick, I first just held the strainer and fished around in there. Forgot I had 220 degree wort in there as well. Boy my hand hurts now. :drunk: :mad:

2To7C.jpg

OOwmA.jpg

Soo....Burnt Hand Stout or F&%@ The Thermometer Stout?

burnt hand has a nice ring to it. When i used a floating thermometer I just dipped it in a couple of minutes prior to flame out . Now I use a digital that sits in Some Star San .

Thermometers suck a$$ in general. Glad you made the stick and strainer work for you. I used my floating thermometer the same way you did and mine never came apart. However, the red rubber top did become very easy to pull off the glass portion when it was wet and hot. I would imagine thats what happened. I no longer use it because my floating thermometer is completely inaccurate and a absolute piece of junk.

My floating thermometer broke today. Here's to hoping all those lead balls and glass got strained out!

Back