Pensacola Fl June 1 to June 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mc Guire's Irish Pub, is a local brew pub there thats pretty good. I would also recommend going to Hemingway's. Its a local restaurant that has really great food. Also in the are where Hemingway's is located they have quite a few bars. You can also go to Sammy's which is a pretty good strip club.

Hey, I live here! McGuire's is not bad, but they usually just have four beers on tap that they brewed. If you want selection, hopjack's is good, they are the only place I've ever found gruit. A few other places I've heard about but not been are Ozone Pizza Pub and Brews Brothers. Brews bros apparently has 41 taps and 1 beer engine.

I'll send you a PM.

If you get a chance to make it to Hopjacks on tuesday night pretty much everything they have is 3$ or 4$. I am sure we could organize some kind of small meeting at Hopjacks or something along those lines.

Coastarine pretty much listed off everything worth mentioning around here for beer selection, if you want to check out a couple of places with good cheap beer to buy I would recommend going to Four Winds International Market and Richies East on 9th Ave, they both have a great selection. Here is the website for Four Winds, Four Winds Fine Food Market, Inc. - The Largest Selection of Specialty Food "In The South" - Pensacola, Florida

On the ground and checked in at the Base... I'll post a little later after some recon...
john

P.S. I'm glad to see a few people willing to meet up... this could be a fun two weeks! :D

Sounds good, check out those places mentioned above if you get a chance. I'll send you a PM about getting up and having a beer.

I always like getting another brewer's opinion on my beer, I have six on tap and it won't cost you a penny. Hell, I have ingredients, we could have a brew day this weekend.

I guess I need to force carb my two hearted clone and get it ready, I will bring some Orange/Centennial APA for ya.

While you're down there, if you want some good fresh fish, go to the Fish House. It's a nice place, on the water with the best fish I've ever had. I stop by there every time I'm in Pensacola.

While you're down there, if you want some good fresh fish, go to the Fish House. It's a nice place, on the water with the best fish I've ever had. I stop by there every time I'm in Pensacola.

I was there the other night, had the cheese grits, that stuff is awesome. They also have a couple of good beers like sweetwater 420.

I was there the other night, had the cheese grits, that stuff is awesome. They also have a couple of good beers like sweetwater 420.

I was going to ask you about sweetwater, I keep seeing it in the stores and wanted to know if it was any good before I bought any...

Hey it's looking like this weekend is looking good for getting together... unfortunately it probably will work better for me to get together on Sunday... I don't know if that will work better or worse for you guys...

I'm attempting to clear saturday afternoon and evening... I should have a better idea by tonight.

-John

I was going to ask you about sweetwater, I keep seeing it in the stores and wanted to know if it was any good before I bought any...

Hey it's looking like this weekend is looking good for getting together... unfortunately it probably will work better for me to get together on Sunday... I don't know if that will work better or worse for you guys...

I'm attempting to clear saturday afternoon and evening... I should have a better idea by tonight.

-John

Saturday is preferable just because I'll have a simulator on Monday and I usually study on Sunday but with the proper planning I can get my studying done and be free on Sunday. I think Curtis usually has to work Sunday though.

420 is a very nice APA. I much prefer it over SNPA.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Two Hearted Clone
Brewer: biGhuK
Asst Brewer: ziG
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.9 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 31.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.4 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.90 qt of water at 169.1 F 151.0 F

Notes:
------
Water Profile

Gypsum - 7.6gm
Salt - 7gm
Epsom - 3.9gm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the recipe I used, mash around 152 instead or you'll come out with a 7.6% beer like I did. I fermented at 64' measured by the swamp chiller. This is eschatz recipe. My OG on this was 1.071 and finished at 1.013.

Yeah unfortunately I work on Sunday's from 8-5 but after that time I would be available. It appears as though I will probably be in Ft. Walton on Saturday even from about 3PM on. I would be available Friday night.

So I recently failed while moving around some equipment in my kegerator and loosened the nut that attaches the regulator to the co2 tank, this effectively drained all of the co2 completely and I cannot get a new tank until Friday. This beer is only mildly carbonated if any at all and besides that fact it's not even ready to be consumed. I will still bring some orange/centennial apa if we get a chance to meet up though. I will say this though if you are interested in doing a mail swap of the beer once I get it matured I will be glad to send you some of this two hearted clone for some of your brew :).

We hit Hopjacks last night... had some awesome beers! Pizza wasn't bad either. I've got Saturday set aside to get together for some good Homebrew, don't think I'll be able to stick around for a full brewday.... But looking forward to it none the less.
-john

Holy Cow! Someone should have warned us.... we went to McGuires tonight... The beer wasn't overly impressive, but the food was great... and a so much of it. Those deep fried mashed potato things were awesome. Now I need a week fasting to get back to normal.

McGuires is awesome man, the brewmaster is part of our local brew club. The food there is outstanding, I don't think I have ever eaten a bad meal from that place. Wish I could make it out on Saturday but unfortunately I already had plans for that night to go to dinner in Ft. Walton. Hope you enjoy your stay John and if you want to swap some beer when you get back to your house just let me know!

I will be leaving for Ft. Walton around 2:00 PM, don't think I will be able to make it unfortunately.

Holy Cow! Someone should have warned us.... we went to McGuires tonight... The beer wasn't overly impressive, but the food was great... and a so much of it. Those deep fried mashed potato things were awesome. Now I need a week fasting to get back to normal.

Agreed, their beer is definitely brewed to be approachable for the masses. Their food is awesome, I usually go for the corned beef and cabbage.

OK, this post is way over due...

A great big thanks to Coastarine, his wife and friends for hosting me and my (bud light) drinking friends (they're still telling people about Jon's awesome homebrew). I think made a convert or two.... we'll see. He was generous with his beers and his food and didn't complain when we were (unintentionally, but rudely) late. He's a class act.

Jon had us out on Saturday and not one of the six beers he had on tap was less than awesome. He was also kind enough to share some bottled brews he had a limited supply of - all of them fantastic as well.

I'm really partial to Jon's citrus kolsch... and it was evident later that evening, that I probably had a little more than my fair share.

Here's some evidence.... Jon (Coastarine) left, and John (Seabee) right

FLvisit.JPG

Absolutely fantastic time... thanks again Jon!

Definitely a good time. Here's the recipe for that kolsch, its a BierMuncher: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/orange-kolsch-ag-ex-30918/

I posted how I brewed it a little differently.

The more people drink of my beer, the happier it makes me. As far as I'm concerned, that's the biggest compliment you can pay. Plus it means I'm that much closer to getting something new on tap. I'll be glad to have you over if our paths cross again, although it isn't likely to be in florida next time.

Not tryiing to steep where I do not belong but I am wondering why there where no suggestions for the P-Cola Brewery? Nice, lil place not far from HopJacks at all. The Vanilla Porter is worth the visit alone.

<-------Panama City Beach

i found this thread as i did a search looking for some local brewers. I saw that it was sad that PBB hadnt opened by then. Pcola seems to be behind the power curve with local breweries and LHBS. Only have one of each. Decent bars for good selection of beers, but no locally made stuff except for PBB. I wouldnt count McQuires and i have never been impressed with their beers. The food on the other hand is pretty darn good though!

Latest posts

Back