Simcoe Blast IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzymizzy

Reaction score
This is my first non "kit" brew. I tweaked another recipe I found somewhere. I'll be happy to read any comments or suggestions.

I'll touch base with results when complete.

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil: 3 gal
Total Grain/Extract: 10.25lbs
Dextrose Priming Sugar
Yeast: Liquid California Ale WLP001

1 lb Crystal Malt 45
.25 German Munich
9 lb LME

60: 1.5 oz Simcoe
15: 1 oz Simcoe
FO: 1 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop: 1 oz Simcoe

Irish Moss

Going for about 75 IBU.

Question: I'll have an extra .5 oz of Simcoe laying around. Who is in favor of dumping it in @ 30 min? Who is in favor of keeping it for another batch?

Wow, that's a butt load of Simcoe!

You could keep the 1oz of dryhop out of the batch and then make a simcoe pale ale with the remaining 1.5 oz. I'd probably spread the additions out evenly (.5 oz each) at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0. :mug:

My .02 is to break up that 15 min. addition in half and add the other half at 10 minutes. I would also add that extra .5 oz at 5 min as well. If that makes your IBUs too high, I would lower your 60 min addition to 1oz and maybe add the difference at the Dryhop. I have an IPA that has medaled twice using Simcoe at 15, 10, & 5 minutes and it has a very smooth hop flavor.

Simcoe is a terrific flavor and aroma hop and I think your current recipe will turn out great. Good Luck!

In terms of taste or smell, you ought to probably taste/smell an IPA that features only one type of hop so you can "get to know it" without other hop varieties interfering.

I'd move some of the 60' addition to 30' to get more hop flavor. Simcoe to me tastes like a citrus fruit salad served on a freshly cut pine board. :)

You don't need a flameout and a dry hop addition IMO, depends on what you want. The aroma will be grassier from dry hop, whereas the flameout will be more rounded.

Sunday is the day.

Considering one of the following, just to mellow it out:

#1, FOR ~ 65 IBUs

1 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 30
.5 oz @ 15
with .5 Dry Hop

-OR-

#2, FOR ~ 59 IBUs

1 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 15
.5 @ 1
with .5 Dry Hop

Thoughts?

So. I pitched the yeast. 72 hours later and it was stagnant. I repitched new yeast and now it is going.

Will update later.

Hehe. I really wanted it to be bitter, so I came up with this:

1.5 @ 60
.5 @ 30
1 @ 15
.5 @ 10
.5 @ f/o

I'll add a bit .5 or 1 Dry Hop.

Bubbling has stopped. Gravity reading, about 1.018.

OG, about 1.06.

Gunna wait a day or so and rack to secondary with dry hops.

It smells wonderful. I tasted a bit, and it is pretty bitter (as expected), but there was a weird aftertaste that I can only assume it will mellow out after sitting a while/adding dextrose.

Has anyone tasted an IPA before racking to a secondary and had a peculiar aftertaste?

Some suggestions & questions:

Why are you adding dextrose?

The beer child is just reaching maturity and you want to rip it away from its yeast mother already? Have some compassion. Let her live with her parents a little longer before you send her into the real world. Aka- don't rack yet, esp if you have some off flavor you want to clear up.

Dry hop with AT LEAST 1oz, preferably more.

Sorry, I meant to say "priming sugar" instead of dextrose.

So, how long do you recommend in the primary before "ripping it away from its yeast mother"?

Perv. ;)

The IPA was bottled today. The flavor has mellowed out a lot!! It is a lot more palatable, and the beer is a very clear, light-amber color. I'm going to let it age for a few more weeks and then tip a few back. Will report then.

Back