Smell of rotten eggs coming from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfknmario

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is nothing to worry about, but figured I'd ask here anyway.. Is this cause for alarm?

What sort of beer? What yeast? From 30K feet, the sulphury smell is fairly common for certain yest strains....

It's the Saison de Noel extract recipe from Norther Brewer. The yeast is Wyeast French Saison.

There should be no cause for alarm, that kind of smell is normal for many strains.

I been looking all over for Wyeast 3711 and can't find it...my LHBS won't special order 1 packet for me.

I got the kit from northernbrewer web site, so I would imagine that they have the strain available

Sulfur. Many yeasts produce it. No worries. Never expect great smells during fermentation, although sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised. The sulfur will subside.

tre9er said:
Sulfur. Many yeasts produce it. No worries. Never expect great smells during fermentation, although sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised. The sulfur will subside.

Sulfur! Of course! I should know that given that I've sprayed my fruit trees with sulfur in the past. I should recognize that stench anywhere! Lol

Back