Heatstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this exact unit for heating my strike water. I bought a appliance grade timer and with that and the heat stick,begin heating my strike water while I sleep. Wake up to 170 degree water. Usually takes about 2 to 2.5 hours to go from 60 degree to strike. About 1 degree a minute.

Interesting find and good price. But it's light on the power. It's about half a heat stick, really, but if you've got the time to wait...

But, even if light on power, would it not help bring a boil faster and, if I can't get a good, rolling boil, would it not help bring the rolling boil along with my gas stove? I'm only talking about 8 gallons or so.

I only tried to use mine to help boil 1 time. A 10 gal batch (99% of the time I do 5 gal) when it was like -5 degrees in jan. stupid time to try and do a bigger batch. Any way, it seemed to me that the wort was boiling around the heat stick and not elsewhere. I had the propane burner going as well. Just seemed not right. Could have been in my mind and everything was actually ok with the boil, but I was getting painoid of scorching. Has anyone else used a bucket heater to assist in boil?

I only tried to use mine to help boil 1 time. A 10 gal batch (99% of the time I do 5 gal) when it was like -5 degrees in jan. stupid time to try and do a bigger batch. Any way, it seemed to me that the wort was boiling around the heat stick and not elsewhere. I had the propane burner going as well. Just seemed not right. Could have been in my mind and everything was actually ok with the boil, but I was getting painoid of scorching. Has anyone else used a bucket heater to assist in boil?
I use a 1500W heatstick to assist my stove in the winter, it works great.

Yes, 1000w will help as the total required is around 4000??? If you have a 20A outlet, a 2000w stick will help much more to reach boil quicker, but for $40 and all you have to do is click and open a package, give it a try IMO. I have always though these bucket heaters would be great to heat a lot of brewing water...toss one in a large cooler for a few hours, or better yet put it on a simple $10 timer and all your water is hot when you wake up to brew. Much cheaper and easier than heating strike and sparge water on a propane burner, but only if you plan ahead....waiting on it like watching grass grow.

It depends on his usage. If it's for assisting a boil, give her a shot. If this will be your only heat source, 1000W won't be boiling 6-7 gallons f
or ya. But 2000W will.

If you're doing 5 gallons, a 2000W heat stick and a 20 amp outlet will get her done. Just yesterday I boiled 14 gallons for my 11.5 gallon batch using 4000W of power. Had a really nice boil going. Boiled off 3 gallons in 90 minutes in a keggle.

So it depends. I would also suggest mounting an element in your BK. It's probably overall easier than making the heat stick and I think much safer. I started with heat sticks and they're great, but I think they have a definitely lifespan. After 8 months one of mine started tripping the gfci. Been boiling with the keggle mounted elements for a few years now with no issues as all.

Just something to think about. If you have a step bit and a 1" NPS locknut with a gasket, all you need is the element $10, a waterproof electrical box $5, and the cord and you're in business.

Thanks for the info. I did order one yesterday.
My gas stove is pretty good. I have a butane burner for crawfish and crab boils but it's overkill and I prefer, especially in the southern summers, not to brew outside. I'm not into 'sweat tasting beer'.
I can bring my 9 gallon pot to a boil, after a mash in about 45 minutes (from 170 mashout temp to boil). It's not a hard rolling boil so I was hoping to use this to shave off some time as well as perhaps, get a harder boil. I can't say that the lack of a rolling boil has hurt my beer as it's been very good and those who drink it love it as do I. Just trying to shave some time off my process.

Back