What's on your Christmas list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeb

Reaction score
The title says it all.

Mrs. Bigeb is pestering me about what I want for X-mas but I'm in the middle of a brain fart and I'm drawing a blank.

Anyone have any thoughts or preferences of what they want?

SWMBO is buying me $100 in brewing supplies from the retailer of my choice.

Which is awesome since $100 is a lot to us right now. Love that woman. Tried to talk her down to $50 but she's all about the $100.

I have been searching for a nice grain scale.
I got one that works real good for 5 gallons batches, and probably great for 10 gallons as well. I think it was only $25-35, and it's fine enough to measure hops as well.

Eh, it's a 55 lb. scale. It lists for $35, but I think I got it on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraship-Electronic-Digital-Shipping-Kitchen/dp/B001SH3QNW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322746947&sr=8-2

SWMBO is buying me $100 in brewing supplies from the retailer of my choice.

Which is awesome since $100 is a lot to us right now. Love that woman. Tried to talk her down to $50 but she's all about the $100.

We have talked about not wanting to spend on each other this year. Kid is going to college next year and our cars aren't getting any younger. But I REALLY want a pH meter!! I figure I'll just buy it anyway, so I might as well make it a Christmas list item.

What sucks for me is my wife has a birthday in mid December, so I have to come up with MORE ideas! It's hard for me to think of just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking homebrew supplies? - Autosiphon and a long probe thermometer.

I got one that works real good for 5 gallons batches, and probably great for 10 gallons as well. I think it was only $25-35, and it's fine enough to measure hops as well.

Eh, it's a 55 lb. scale. It lists for $35, but I think I got it on sale.

Amazon.com: Ultraship 55 Lb Electronic Digital Shipping Postal Kitchen Scale (Black): Home & Garden

I just emailed Santa the link. That one looks really nice. I like the detatchable display and .5 oz resolution is great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just emailed Santa the link. That one looks really nice. I like the detatchable display and .5 oz resolution is great too.

It's got 1 bad review, but I've never had a problem with it. I took it to work and checked calibration with our gram weights and it was dead on. The detachable faceplate is really nice when you can remember it! Especially when the grain bucket starts to cover it up.

I've had it for a couple of years and never changed the batteries so far. But be warned, the timeout is fairly quick. It shuts off after a couple of minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out what pH meter I want.

It's got 1 bad review, but I've never had a problem with it. I took it to work and checked calibration with our gram weights and it was dead on. The detachable faceplate is really nice when you can remember it! Especially when the grain bucket starts to cover it up.

I've had it for a couple of years and never changed the batteries so far. But be warned, the timeout is fairly quick. It shuts off after a couple of minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out what pH meter I want.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds good.

I have this pH meter: Milwaukee pH56 High Accuracy Pocket sized pH/Temperature Meter, Milwaukee PH56 - at the Test Equipment Depot

It is reasonably priced and seems to work well.

I have been looking at that one from Yoopers pH meter thread. I also like the Hannah that was mentioned, and the other Milwaukee that was suggested with the remote sensor. (really, only for the manual calibration mode...)

I also want a bottle tree. I'm tired of having to schedule the dishwashing to have a clean upper rack when I want to clean bottles.

I'm getting an Arduino for my young daughter, so she can learn how to make me brewing systems. She has a lot more free time at night than I do...

I'm going for Photography and hunting stuff this year. Just bought myself a new plate chiller, so that will hold me over for a bit on the brewing side.

I've started telling family to just get me brewing stuff. I just ordered a pound of PBW,& 6 of those little packets of Burton salts from Midwest.
I'm telling them maybe some ale kits,particularly a PM kit of something nice. Gotta think of some useful gadgets for my list as well. Like a bench capper. That'd make the process a bit more stable than a wing capper,& small round pot holder...

Wife and I are buying each other a new house, hopefully.

:off:

You know what really pisses me off this time of year? Those Lexus commercials, with someone giving their husband or wife a new car, or a lease on a new car. Like, I would be furious if my wife did that (not that she ever would), because she'd be buying me a huge present with money that's half mine!

You know what really pisses me off this time of year? Those Lexus commercials, with someone giving their husband or wife a new car, or a lease on a new car. Like, I would be furious if my wife did that (not that she ever would), because she'd be buying me a huge present with money that's half mine!

Not too mention I think most people are like me, and can't really afford even a used vehicle that their SO would kill to have so I see those and just get angry.

worse are the Acura "season of reason" commercials, talking about overspending at the holidays and then suggesting you buy an Acura.

my list has a few brewing books, a false bottom for my cooler, a better bulkhead for my cooler, and some other sundries.
i also have some more unrealistic things on the list that i don't expect to get, but you never know. (barebones kegging setup, grain mill, 9 gallon kettle, etc.)

I can already see that this is a dangerous (for my pocket book) thread to be following. Already my viewing this site over Thanksgiving/Black Friday has cost me:
$170 for a keg kit/perlick faucet/.. from Keg Connection
$141 for Hops and Yeast from FarmHouse Brewing
$23 for an STC-1000 via ebay
$160 + tax for a GE 7 cu ft freezer (HD black friday) for a Keezer
$40-50 (can't remember) from Williams Brewing for 3/16" stuff and a keg pressure tester ...
$15-20 (can't remember) at Home Depot for some parts for the DIY temperature controller.
$...

So, I'm done...please NO more temptation!

I have asked for:

Wort Chiller
Propane burner

I think I have gotten the chiller, because something came from a homebrew supplier in the mail, and it wasnt big/heavy enough to be a burner, but it may be the chiller. It seemed light enough.

I brewed last night and asked her if I could have it early. She said she didnt order it for me, but for one of her friends who homebrews (I know the guy and he doesnt have a chiller) but she never buys stuff for him!!

That is all I asked for that is homebrew related.

I also asked for

Star Wars Blu Ray collection
The Lord of the Rings Blu Ray trilogy

other stuff that I forgot....

Not directly beer related, but they go good together.

Marshall MF350 head and a MF400 cabinet.
350 watts of "F***K the neighbors" power. (just kidding I love my neighbors, but it sure felt good saying it)

big.jpg

I told the wife to have my kids (6,5 and 3) pick out an all-grain kit from Norther Brewer. Figured it would probably be something I wouldn't guess. They'll probably pick their favorite color from the pictures :)

A bottle of La Roja, and the mother in law is staying for a month. I know the later sounds horrible, but I love my mother in law. Plus, she's a free babysitter so the wife and I can go out. All that and I get about 2 weeks off of school. It's going to be awesome.

ndsgr said:
A bottle of La Roja, and the mother in law is staying for a month. I know the later sounds horrible, but I love my mother in law. Plus, she's a free babysitter so the wife and I can go out. All that and I get about 2 weeks off of school. It's going to be awesome.

La Roja! God what a delicious beer. Then again, what beer comes out of Ron Jeffries' brewery that isn't brilliant?

[email protected]

350 watts of "F***K the neighbors" power. (just kidding I love my neighbors, but it sure felt good saying it)

big.jpg

!!!!!!!!Holy jesus... that is beautiful... I've had the same combo amp for like 20 years... nice man...

big.jpg

That IS nice but I'm a Mesa Boogie guy.

I am officially changing my Xmas wish to a big check in the mail to cover the money I just spent on my kids. C'mon Santa...

lschiavo said:
That IS nice but I'm a Mesa Boogie guy.

I am officially changing my Xmas wish to a big check in the mail to cover the money I just spent on my kids. C'mon Santa...

I love mesas. Sadly I have down graded to a line 6 practice size due to making more room for kids stuff. Damn kids

Which one did you choose?

It was a tough choice. I was going to want the Milwaukee that Kai recommends with the remote probe and manual calibration, but it got lousy reviews. MW101.

So it was a toss-up between the Milwaukee Ph56 and the Hannah Phep5.

I chose the Hannah because they were so similar and I've read numerous stories of their service being excellent. Plus the Milwaukee was out of stock at Amazon... Probably should have checked some of the online LHBSs though. Didn't think of that.

I think either meter would be a good choice.

worse are the Acura "season of reason" commercials, talking about overspending at the holidays and then suggesting you buy an Acura.

my list has a few brewing books, a false bottom for my cooler, a better bulkhead for my cooler, and some other sundries.
i also have some more unrealistic things on the list that i don't expect to get, but you never know. (barebones kegging setup, grain mill, 9 gallon kettle, etc.)
I am so happy that there are other people like me who hate those commercials. If someone gave me one of those stupid music boxes ,and then said hey come outside there is a new Lexus for you in the driveway. I would immediately ask them if they are going to pay for the insurance, license, and make the payments. Then I would ask why they didn't get me the refractometer, digital thermometer, and barley crusher that I had asked for.

I am so happy that there are other people like me who hate those commercials. If someone gave me one of those stupid music boxes ,and then said hey come outside there is a new Lexus for you in the driveway. I would immediately ask them if they are going to pay for the insurance, license, and make the payments. Then I would ask why they didn't get me the refractometer, digital thermometer, and barley crusher that I had asked for.

My wife hates them too. She said they other day if I bought her a new car she'd kick my ass! I agreed. Then pretended to call a dealership to cancel my order!

I hate them too. To me it sounds like, "I know you're too stupid to know what you really want in a vehicle, so I went ahead and bought you one myself so I don't have to watch you agonize over minute details."

My wife was also smart enough to ask me which pH meter I wanted. She is also pretty good at picking out stocking stuffers of random stuff that I'd like.

I can only repay her with awesome sex. :eek:

Back