Off Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooomanycolors

Reaction score
In my triple style I somehow produced smoky tones. No wood was used, wasnt smoking anything when making the wort. The recipe can be found in the mead section.

Anyway does anyone have a possible explanation as to where these smoky tones came from?

Thanks

Did a quick search and found this. It's a little tricky to navigate, but scroll down to "Phenolic." If it wasn't your yeast strain or your malts, it might have been "Improper sanitation, Chlorophenols, or improper rinse of chlorine sanitizers." I know nothing about Chlorophenols, but it does say that they way to remedy it is to filter your tap water. Are you brewing with tap water? Have any other brews had this problem? Also, what type of sanitizer are you using?

Hope that helped.

well the most logical exspalantion is that some of your wort got scorched on the bottom of your brew pot , making smoke = smokey flavor.. if it was just a little it could have washed off when you where stiring it

ah..

This is the only to have these flavors, but I havent tried the lambic made with the same wort. Used starsan and iodine as sanitizers,

and never thought of the scorching possibility

Thanks

I'm not familiar with using starsan or iodine, I use one step. Scorching may be a possibility, but if you're using the same methods for all of your brews, and this is the first one to have the flavor, I'm not sure that would be it. Are you using tap water for all the brews? If so, that would rule your water out. I'm thinking maybe improper sanitation? But being a bit of a novice brewer, I'm not sure I can be too positive on that.

well the most logical exspalantion is that some of your wort got scorched on the bottom of your brew pot , making smoke = smokey flavor.. if it was just a little it could have washed off when you where stiring it

Would that cause a smokey flavor or would that cause more of a 'burnt' flavor? To me, there's a difference between a smokey flavor (hickory, cedar, etc) and a burnt flavor, but I could be wrong.

Here's the grain bill:
Belgian Tipple
(11 gallons)
Brewed on: 9/1/2008
Mash Temp: 150
23.75lbs 2-row
.5lbs Aromatic
2lbs Candy Sugar
1lb Cane Sugar
2oz Special B
2oz Caramunich
.5lbs Biscuit
2lbs Carapils
1oz Saaz 5.8% @ 60mins
1oz Sterling 6.0% @ 60mins
Yeast: WLP570

The few ozs are for color.

Tap is used for all brews, and it was defiantly a full boil. No top off crap. And star-san has always been pretty solid when ever I have used it. And I do know what an infection looks like. We don't have that going on here.

there is nothing on top of the must, it looks normal. the only odd thing is the smoky flavors.

Back