One gallon growler/jug on stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
I'm planning on building a stir plate and while I am ordering a stir bar, I was wondering if I should get an erlenmeyer flask too, or if the one-gallon glass jug I've been using would work. The bottom of the jug is slightly concave, but otherwise smooth.

Thanks

I'd go with the flask, since you can directly boil the starter wort in it. Not only is this more convenient, but it should reduce the chance of infection.

BlindLemonLars said:
I'd go with the flask, since you can directly boil the starter wort in it. Not only is this more convenient, but it should reduce the chance of infection.
Wow I didn't think of that. I guess it makes sense. So do you put it on your stove?

I was actually listening to a brewcast and it seems that Jamil uses the barbell shaped stirbars when he's creating a huge starter in a carboy (3 or 5 gallon, I don't remember) so that it will work with the curved bottom.

EDIT: I put mine directly on my gas stove last night, then directly into a cool water bath from boiling, did just fine, but YMMV

I just started a 1g starter in a former apple juice glass jug. My stir plate has an adjustable speed and as long as I start slow and work it up to 8 (out of 10), then it stays in the center of the jug.

Also, some jugs are more concave than others.

I do this all the time with a regular capsule shaped stir bar.

The only mod I have made is to engineer a pivot ring. Since I keg, I have a ready supply of small o-rings that would normally be used on the dip tubes.

I place an o-ring on the stir bar, at it's center, and it works fine. My DIY plate can create a funnel in 3 quarts of standrad gravity starter.

Back